What's new

Will buttons/coins deteriote when i dont peserve them?

X-Splenda

Full Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
160
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra
Will button's/coins deteriote when i dont peserve them?

???
 
Re: Will button's/coins deteriote when i dont peserve them?

The only things I have ever done anything to are pewter relics and I put a coat of a good quality clear finger nail polish on them. I've got buttons and coins that I dug in the late 60's that look the same as the day I cleaned them and I've never done anything to them.
 
Re: Will button's/coins deteriote when i dont peserve them?

For copper coins I would recommend a soak overnight in distilled water to remove any harmful minerals or chemicals from the ground.

I also advise some sort of preservation for pewter and iron relics. For pewter, vayank is right--some sort of clear acrylic like nail polish works. I prefer a 50/50 mix of elmer's glue and water, painted on with a paintbrush--or a thin coat of clear urethane painted on and thinned out with a small brush. Practice first on a relic that is not very valuable, for sure, and see which "finish" you like best.

For iron, electrolysis is the only way to go.

Other relics (brass or lead) and coins (copper, silver, nickel) will be just fine over the years.


-Buckles
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom