Wind Chill Short Cross

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Man that was cold !!!!. Forecast was for just above freezing, but the wind made it feel like minus 20. Another short cross coin though was recovered from the cold soil, where it had been waiting for around 800 years, to once again feel the palm of an hand. The coin was minted by the moneyer Willelm in London. The king could be either Henry 11 (1180-9), Richard (1189-99) or John (1199-1216) Willelm minted coins for all of these kings, but not Henry 111 . The entire short cross issue which covered the reigns of Henry 11, Richard 1, John and Henry 111, had the same obverse legend of hENRICVS. There are no English coins with the name Richard or John. Going out now for even more punishment, Christmas shopping with the wife:laughing7:.

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6047.JPG
    IMG_6047.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 9
I always like finding short cross pennies. os:occasion14:

That would make any cold day worth it. I got rained on most of yesterday & my legs were nearly pulled out their socket, in fact in some areas there was quick mud.(stood still to long & you sink) Still we are happy to have anywhere this time of year & as you're getting these types of finds I'm sure you are as well.

I'd brave the elements any day for that short cross.

The wind is a real killer out if one hasn't got something to combat against it, wearing good rain gear sometimes helps.
Then there's sometimes that nothing helps except a warm fireplace and drink.

Nice Find!!! If I found a coin like that I would be in a sweat no mater how cold. Tony

We dig those all the time here in NC and usually toss them back they're so common........LOL Wonderful find!!!

I'd brave the elements any day for that short cross.

The wind is a real killer out if one hasn't got something to combat against it, wearing good rain gear sometimes helps.
Then there's sometimes that nothing helps except a warm fireplace and drink.
Fire place and a drink, that sounds like a plan :occasion14:

That would make any cold day worth it. I got rained on most of yesterday & my legs were nearly pulled out their socket, in fact in some areas there was quick mud.(stood still to long & you sink) Still we are happy to have anywhere this time of year & as you're getting these types of finds I'm sure you are as well.
True Cru, the weather men are predicting a bad winter, could get painful :sadsmiley:

That is an awesome find. I would love the chance to find something like that and that old. On my wish list is a trip to England to detect for the really old stuff. Congratulations on such a great find.

That is an awesome find. I would love the chance to find something like that and that old. On my wish list is a trip to England to detect for the really old stuff. Congratulations on such a great find.
thanks Whammy, hope you get across the pond some day.

Your roll of early coins continues. Great finds bud. A small glass of bourbon in from of the fireplace always warmed me up. From the inside out :-)

Your roll of early coins continues. Great finds bud. A small glass of bourbon in from of the fireplace always warmed me up. From the inside out :-)
Bourbon, no wonder I can't warm up, I'm drinking cool lagers :laughing7:.

Congratulations ! Very nice to be the first in 800 years to hold that silver - now onto a good single malt I should think ,
and a fire place !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back