What's new

Winged Bannerstone, Gneiss

OntarioArch

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2017
Messages
427
Reaction score
1,172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Acquired from great granddaughter of farmer who plowed it up on shores of a Finger Lake, central NY. It's 5.5 inches long, weighs 11 ounces (!), has no damage. It has been hypothesized that gneiss was used because it resembles the plumage of raptors, as the shape of this treasure resembles a raptor in flight. The size and weight of this piece makes some think it must have been ceremonial use, only.

Banner1.webp
banner2.webp
banner3.webp
banner4.webp
banner5.webp
 
Upvote 0
It is very gneiss indeed!
 
Nice one ! I like how the hole is off centered on what looks to be the exit end of the drilling. The style looks very similar to the only one I have ever been fortunate enough to find down here in Maryland.
 
That's a beauty!
 
nice looking relic. Congrats on the acquisition
 
I found a lot of points in the Finger Lakes area as a kid (I grew up in Erin) but I never found one of those. Very cool.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom