What's new

wolf teeth

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
2,356
Reaction score
405
Golden Thread
0
Not a MD item, but we were wondering if anyone could id these as wolf teeth. We think they are. Probably not an unusal find out west, but wolves haven't been in our part of the country for a long time. So, anyone up on thier wolf anatomy? Found only two pics online to direct us that direction,

naturegirl

not fossilized
 

Attachments

  • wolfteeth.webp
    wolfteeth.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 675
  • wolfteeth2.webp
    wolfteeth2.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 625
I don't know what animal that it could be from. But it is an interesting find. I hope someone has an answer. Have you checked your local library, they may have a book or two that might help.
 
Upvote 0
The photos at the site below are copywritten so I can't post it here... see the diagram showing the wolf's dentition, mandible. It looks like your section resembles the wolf's left lower jaw, Premolar #1, and Molars # 1 & 2.

Why do you think wolf and not any other type of canine?

http://www.naturalworlds.org/wolf/moretopics/wolf_skull.htm

I think they are different, but close enough to call them canine...
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Ron, hadn't thought about the library yet, duh. Online is so easy, Will check there.

Montana Jim, we are hoping wolf, because of the size mainly. For some reason there has been a dog skull laying around at work and this section of jaw is confugured exactly like the boxer? upper jaw. There is even a hole in the same place for veins or something to pass through, so we think it's upper. then we found this link, scroll down to the comparison. Our teeth look more like the wolf's

http://www.skullsite.co.uk/Dog/dog.htm#teeth

then the other comparison we found is this

http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/Wolf/wolf.htm

we pulled it out of a creek bank, so like I said we are hoping it's a wolf, maybe just a dog, they seem like rather large teeth. Thanks

ng
 
Upvote 0
Perhaps your local veterinarian can assist in an ID.
Scott
 
Upvote 0
AU24K said:
Perhaps your local veterinarian can assist in an ID.
Scott
I agree with Scott--take it to Jan Johnston at the Pawhuska Vet Clinic and I bet she could tell you. Or maybe ask Timberwolf on here--I think he used to raise wolf hybrids(?).
That's a neat find for our area, naturegirl!

~~sandcreek~~
 
Upvote 0
Now see, I said a vet might know. But Buckshot said probably not. Jan is our next stop. It is cool isn't Sandcreek, if it turns out to be wolf. I know they were here, I think about it when I'm out in the country. But somehow, finding solid evidence of them is just as much fun as finding an Indian artifact. Keep your fingers crossed...

ng
 
Upvote 0
naturegirl said:
Now see, I said a vet might know. But Buckshot said probably not. Jan is our next stop. It is cool isn't Sandcreek, if it turns out to be wolf. I know they were here, I think about it when I'm out in the country. But somehow, finding solid evidence of them is just as much fun as finding an Indian artifact. Keep your fingers crossed...

ng
Yeah, almost as fun as finding an Indian aritfact :wink:!! If only those teeth had been drilled(like some of Dorkfish's) then you could really brag :notworthy:.
Last winter, in the hay meadow west of our house, I saw a huge dark colored animal. I told my husband I thought maybe it had been a wolf, but he said "No, just a big coyote". After seeing the teeth you found, it made me start thinking about that again.
I'm going to keep following this thread, naturegirl, so keep us posted, please!

sandcreek
 
Upvote 0
Wolves, like bears are omnivores. Like dogs too. Are there any flat molars you found? If you only have a partial jaw with teeth...you'll need an expert. If you had the whole jaw and found only "sharp" teeth it's most likely a carnivore. Anything with ripping/tearing teeth as well as flat molars for grinding will most likely be an omnivore.

They look like cat teeth to me. Maybe because of the size - cougar.

Next time you're heading toward a veterinary office/zoo/university with zoology dept. just pop in and see if someone can id the teeth. Good luck, have fun researching.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Tricia, didn't have time to make it to the vet's today, I'm hoping she can say for sure, but I'm still gonna read about it tonight.

ng
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom