Woman finds 1.30 carat diamond in Crater of Diamonds park

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Woman finds 1.30 carat diamond in Crater of Diamonds park

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/092206tswdiamond.2341f99.html

06:58 PM CDT on Thursday, September 21, 2006

Associated Press

MURFREESBORO, Ark. – A Tennessee woman whose husband predicted she wouldn't have any luck diamond hunting Thursday found a 1.30-carat diamond at Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds State Park.

Melissa Lacey of Knoxville and her mother, Peggy Spreeuw, had made plans to go crystal mining but decided to spend another day at the state park instead. Lacey's husband had predicted she wouldn't find anything.

"I wasn't expecting to find anything and was just picking up pretty rocks," Lacey said.

At first, she thought the light yellow diamond was "a piece of dirty quartz." After it was identified by park staff, Lacey said she couldn't wait to show it to her husband.

The diamond was the size of a piece of candy corn. The largest diamond ever discovered in the United States was unearthed here in 1924. Named the Uncle Sam, the white diamond weighed 40.23 carats.

Saturday, a newly dug trench was opened to the public. Soil from the trench was spread out over parts of the diamond field. Lacey was searching in an area where the soil had been spread out.

The Crater of Diamonds State Park is the world's only publicly-operated diamond site where the public is allowed to search and keep any gems found, regardless of their value.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
eric, if they are trenching it and spreading it out, you can expect more stones found before long. They keep plowing the same ground over and over and in my opinion, it's been worked over quite well. I know one trick a black gentleman used when I visited there a number of years ago. He had a metal rod (like a bottle probe) that he shoved into the ground. When he hit resistance, that's how far down he dug and cleared before he started searching. He wanted to get to fresh material that nobody had searched before. The trenching is doing the same thing, getting down to new material.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ericwt

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
As soon as it gets rainy and cold I am going down there for about a week. I can't wait! ;D ;D

Last time I went there it was in December. I looked like a mud monster walking out of there, but I had a great time. I have it on good word that not all diamonds are reported.

ericwt

Upvote 0
P

platypus

ive often wondered what could be found using a deep post hole digger.
that would allow me to reach down to virgin ground.
i need to get down there and try that.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions