Woo Hoo! Finally ordered my detector today!

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I'm not sure if Gary getting a metal detector is beneficial for his fellow detectorists around where he lives. He has done more researching and question asking over the past few months to find all the good spots!

I'm glad to hear you are finally getting your machine. Good luck and keep everyone updated on yoru adventures!

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Oh no.......

Book knowledge doesn't automatically translate to street (dirt) knowledge!!

I DEFINITELY need to take the time to get familiar to the voice of my detector. And I have TWO coils to play with. I'll use the two coils on a variety of test targets (both good and junk) to see how they behave.

And I already have my 'Christening' spot picked out.

Here:
IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

It's 'public'.....but sneaky public. There is no designated access to here.....just a quad trail.

The first pic shows a damn. the damn has been in this location since way back in the 1800's. 'This' latest version of it dates to no sooner than 1902.
The first pic is there just cuz it's pretty.
The house on the other side sits on his private land (relatives of a successful concrete company).

The second pic is as if you execute a right-face from the first pic (cool! Train passed as I was standing there!).
This was a popular gathering/picnic place back in the late 1800's into the 1900's. Other pics I've seen of the area in that period was devoid of the heavy woods as the area was farmed. Now it is all grown in......except for the strip of land along this dam observation wall.

This will be my first hunt site.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Philvis said:
I'm not sure if Gary getting a metal detector is beneficial for his fellow detectorists around where he lives. He has done more researching and question asking over the past few months to find all the good spots!

I'm glad to hear you are finally getting your machine. Good luck and keep everyone updated on yoru adventures!

Took the words outta my mouth Philvis. Glad he lives on the other side of the state from me...He's a NEPA... :tongue3:

Really very glad for you Gary. I think with time and patience, you'll be one of the top posters with finds on here.

Just don't expect miracles your first few times out......if you keep low expectations...you'll be happy in the beginning. But from your posts...you're one determined person.

Wish you lots of great hunts. (In NEPA, of course) :thumbsup:
Al

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the support!

And I'm not setting any goals for myself other than "Take my time and get to know that detector!"
It's sorta like my best memories of catfishin'.......sometimes a few hours of sittin' there only yielded a few nibbles. But being so in tune with the mysteries and wonder that nature has to offer is easily priceless.

I do, however, have one 'vow' to myself.
I'll work hard to NEVER have to be a slave to parks, tot lots, known schools, etc.... (well, I'll try)

I'm trying to find as many interesting and hopefully (likely) original locations that HAVEN'T been swarmed by other MD'ers......if any at all.
With that being said.....I hope I'm not a threat to ANY other MD'er out there cuz I hope to go where you haven't! <grin!>

My 'finds' posts will also (I'll try) have a pic of the location (if the landowners don't mind), or......at least I'll give you an overhead map view (no coordinates, of course!) of the spot.

-

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500
Congratulations! I like to reflect upon what my father passed on to me (what seems like only yesterday, but he's been gone for over ten years) "You can never fix a car as well with another man's tools. You'll always do it faster and better when you use your own stuff."

You can apply that to many things, detecting included. You can have an excellent machine (detector) but still walk over good targets if you aren't using it properly. STUDY YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL AND OTHER BOOKS WRITTEN ABOUT YOUR MACHINE! Get to know your detector inside and out, backwards and forwards and soon you'll be showing the rest of us some of the tresures you've found! Again, congratulations on buying your detector!

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
It's getting delivered tomorrow!

I have my test target strip set up (coins & junk sandwiched between two loooong strips of duck tape). I\And I have two good sized bags of soil from Home Depot to put the test strip under. I wanna get familiar with the basic sounds.

My designated "First Hunt Spot" is literally 5 minutes from my house. I hope to get out for the first time ever on Saturday morning!!!

-

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gary, If you haven't already thought of this, I would suggest that you place part of the strip on its side and make a written note of where that part is so you can tell what signature you get from edge-on coins. Have fun! ;D

scrubber

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread