GatorBoy I have one almost exactly like that same size and all from the Weeki Wachee River at a site. Don't have pics. Man, we have the same indians here as you did, even if different names!
I have personally seen items in mine and other's collections that if not preserved, began to split, dust, chalk, etc. Although I did NO preserve the wood......because it dried so well and I don't mess with it..... I ALWAYS preserved shell and bone. Before "Gomer's solution" solution we used beeswax method I won't even describe it is so inferior.
Florida does have very high humidity.....perhaps in some other areas of the country, bone and shell stuff doesn't seem to degrade as quickly, even in case boxes.....
The duco-acetone doesn't change the artifact one bit, only preserves it. Doesn't make it shiny or sticky, leaves no mark.
Years before Gomer's solution I didn't even preserve shell. One day I was shocked so bad because I rarely handle items and when I was showing someone my goodies the shell hammers were absolutely getting chalky. They were not that way when found! Took a few gallons of acetone and several tubes of duco to preserve the larger items.
Now I preserve potsherds, too, the same way as well as most fossils.