What's new

Wooden Thingamawhitchit

dirtfisher1127

Full Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Messages
173
Reaction score
68
Golden Thread
0
I recently found this item at a local antique store and haven't a clue what it is! It's made of two (old) pieces of wood hinged together by two leather squares. One part is plain, the other handled, with a crescent-shaped opening on top. There are signs of scorching of the wood around this crescent. If anyone can help me with this one, I would be VERY appreciative!
 

Attachments

  • P1010012.webp
    P1010012.webp
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,157
  • P1010013.webp
    P1010013.webp
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,137
  • P1010014.webp
    P1010014.webp
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,243
  • P1010015.webp
    P1010015.webp
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,286
I think you have part of a fire starting tool.... minus the dowel or bow. You can pack tinder around inside the two pieces.
 
Upvote 0
Lakemonster said:
I think you have part of a fire starting tool.... minus the dowel or bow. You can pack tinder around inside the two pieces.


Thanks, Lakemonster--that would make sense with the scorching around the crescent! That said, it seems like a pretty elaborate set-up just to start a fire. It also seems to me that there would be a hole or at least a depression in the crescent for the dowel to rest in. Still, you have a very plausible explanation, and I very much thank you for your response! Jack.
 
Upvote 0
cw0909 said:
hmm,it dosent look like it opens up completely, no hinge pin but does hang up,IE.ring on the
long thinner part/handle

hinges
http://www.building-hardware.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hinges.jpg

Correct, cw0909--it opens up about 45 degrees before the leather hinges start to stress. I'm not completely sure the eye hook for hanging wasn't added later, although it could be original...Thanks for your response. Jack.
 
Upvote 0
Hard to even think of what to type into a search engine when one doesn't have a clue as to it's use. It could be a one off homemade item cobbled together for only one particular use.

I'll just give another crazy guess....... Jig to hold or position leather for use with a heated oval branding iron.
 
Upvote 0
GpSnoopy said:
Hard to even think of what to type into a search engine when one doesn't have a clue as to it's use. It could be a one off homemade item cobbled together for only one particular use.

I'll just give another crazy guess....... Jig to hold or position leather for use with a heated oval branding iron.

I had the SAME problem trying to figure out what to google! That's why I turned to the experts here, and I like your answer--sounds very possible to me! THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP! ( As well as all others who have responded.)
 
Upvote 0
If it is for fire starting, it's called a hearth and the missing parts are the bow and drill.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've never heard it called a "hearth" before.

I always thought "hearth" was the name for the bottom of a blast furnace or cupola (where the meltings end up). Besides the other meaning as in "hearth and home" ???? :help:

Beth



PS - I thought it might be a game call of some sort, with something missing. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks to daroofa, bigcypresshunter, and mrs. oroblanco for your valuable input! P.S. Overall length is approximately 16 1/2".
 
Upvote 0
dirtfisher1127 said:
I'm not completely sure the eye hook for hanging wasn't added later, although it could be original...Thanks for your response. Jack.
The eye hook may be for hanging around the neck. This old turkey call has the same eyelets..
 

Attachments

  • turkey call.webp
    turkey call.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 790
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom