Woods Hibernia half penny

Mduece

Jun 14, 2014
South West NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this coin today in an old field dating way back. Started out as as a jumpy low tone on my AT Pro. When I dug the plug tones were still jumpy. I actually almost kicked the plug back over and quite on it but decided to pinpoint the hole and found this coin. (Double checked the hole and had iron in it which confirmed why signal was so jumpy) I was thinking it might be a king George but wasn't sure. Posted it here on what is it and got a couple of responses that it was probably an early 1700's Hibernia half penny. I have to agree with that after seeing pics of it. First pic is with no cleaning. Second is after a couple hours in olive oil. Big thanks to the members who weighed in and pointed me in the right direction. Thanks for looking ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429495579.033460.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429495604.969137.jpg

Upvote 4
OP
OP
Mduece

Mduece

Jun 14, 2014
South West NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pic of a Hibernia half cent for comparison ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429496297.920578.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hibernia! , toasty or not still very cool

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin would have come out better with a couple minutes in heated peroxide. Forget that now! After the peroxide, you could have coated it with olive oil, or Vaseline, which enhances detail. You can let it re-soak in olive oil for a few days, and try to rub the coin, which will take the active pcv off. Too much like work now. Coin looks like it still has decent detail. The peroxide won't work now because of the oil. Too bad,or should I say bad advice.

OP
OP
Mduece

Mduece

Jun 14, 2014
South West NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Casper and cjon. Hogge, I am admittedly still an amateur at this stuff. I've done the peroxide before and was afraid with this coin that it would have removed the layer that had detail so just went with the olive oil. I appreciate the advice for next time though thanks. I'm able to see the harp on the right side now so thinking it's either 1723 or 1724.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you take it slow , and not heat the peroxide up to a boil, coppers should come out pretty good. The one I just found was almost flat to look at. Yours would have come out much nicer. Even though mine was slightly pitted, there were still some good details in it under all the crud. Enough to ID it anyways. Good Luck Hogge

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs . Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures with us

Top Member Reactions