J.H.Crenshaw

Greenie
Dec 10, 2018
Detector(s) used
AT Max, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Has anyone ever come across a WOW headstone in an "old" black cemetary? The cemetery hasn't been used since the 1911 and all the other stones are very basic, or just rocks except for the standing tree...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544583500.840152.jpg

Inscription reads: ‘For there is hope of a tree if it be cut down that it will sprout again & that the tender branches thereof will not cease.’

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

Has anyone ever come across a WOW headstone in an "old" black cemetary? The cemetery hasn't been used since the 1911 and all the other stones are very basic, or just rocks except for the standing tree...

View attachment 1659882

Inscription reads: ‘For there is hope of a tree if it be cut down that it will sprout again & that the tender branches thereof will not cease.’

I have not seen a WOW monument in a black cemetery. They were very racist.

Where is the monument...Meaning what state?

How many names are on it?

Does it have a WOW or MWOW logo on it?

USUALLY...there are vines and/or bark on WOW monuments. But Never say Never! lol!

Welcome to Tnet!

Kace

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seen a WOW monument in a black cemetery. They were very racist.

Where is the monument...Meaning what state?

How many names are on it?

Does it have a WOW or MWOW logo on it?

USUALLY...there are vines and/or bark on WOW monuments. But Never say Never! lol!

Welcome to Tnet!

Kace

I can't remember where but I seem to remember seeing one of these. Apparently they stopped putting up these markers long ago.
I wonder if this is not a black man buried there. Anyway, I learned so.etbing. Never knew of Woodmen of The World.
Apparently, there is also some sort of monument building associated with World of Warcraft :)

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Try the search bar, I think this has been brought up a few other times.

I have a couple Lodge books of WoW my self, but I forget exactly what it says about head stones, I will have to look and see because I do not remember anything about them being stone, but it has been at least 20 years since I opened them. I will check back on that.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Try the search bar, I think this has been brought up a few other times.

I have a couple Lodge books of WoW my self, but I forget exactly what it says about head stones, I will have to look and see because I do not remember anything about them being stone, but it has been at least 20 years since I opened them. I will check back on that.

Yeah, they are always carved by Master Stonemason's, Usually from the closest area to the deceased, Or in some cases if the insured or family picked a standard 4'-5' monument from the WOW collection they could be poured and the whole thing handled by monument companies under contract with WOW.

When the tree stump monuments from WOW started gaining more visibility, there were other stonemason's and monument companies who copied the design.

If you go to the KGC forum under the Cole Younger, Tombstone Tourist thread... I've posted some pics of different ones.

Kace

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

View attachment 1659882

Another inscription mentioned was...[ At one time in its history , WOW did offer grave monuments to families of deceased members. Sometimes these monuments have the motto Dum Tacet Clamat, which means "Though silent, he speaks , " etched on the stone.]

Your cemetary and black W.O.W. members may relate to blacks being members , pre-1895 ?https://books.google.com/books?id=T...f the world black members before 1950&f=false

OP
OP
J.H.Crenshaw

J.H.Crenshaw

Greenie
Dec 10, 2018
Detector(s) used
AT Max, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kace: there are 2 names on it, woman died in 1904' man in 1911. The back has an area that has been chipped off and defaced, so not sure if it is official WOW or not.
It is located in the north west section of pope county IL, an area where there were very few blacks, and none had any money to speak of, which is why this is out of place, considering all others are simply hand carved rocks...I will try to uploaded a higher res version for you

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544646463.637432.jpg

OP
OP
J.H.Crenshaw

J.H.Crenshaw

Greenie
Dec 10, 2018
Detector(s) used
AT Max, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relevantchair: thank you for the reference, I didn't know the previously allowed blacks in wow..

OP
OP
J.H.Crenshaw

J.H.Crenshaw

Greenie
Dec 10, 2018
Detector(s) used
AT Max, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A recent family death provided me some old bibles and diaries which led me to this forgotten cemetary once again, there is something here, I just need to discern it. The farther I dig into history and the ground, the more fascinated I get.

moreb

Nov 15, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
F75
Minelab Sovereign GT
Troy Shadow X5
Fisher 1266X
Garrett Freedom 2
Garrett Deepseeker ADS ll
Garrett Deepseeker TR/VLF
D-Tex RS 200
Garrett Groundhog TR/VLF
A.H. Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You might try going to findagrave and put the names in. Sometimes there is a obit or death certificate attached to the grave info. The obit or death cert may give you your answer.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, they are always carved by Master Stonemason's, Usually from the closest area to the deceased, Or in some cases if the insured or family picked a standard 4'-5' monument from the WOW collection they could be poured and the whole thing handled by monument companies under contract with WOW.

When the tree stump monuments from WOW started gaining more visibility, there were other stonemason's and monument companies who copied the design.

If you go to the KGC forum under the Cole Younger, Tombstone Tourist thread... I've posted some pics of different ones.

Kace

Hey thanks man, when I get to the books, should I load up a copy on here. Been a good while since I opened them, last time I even touched them was when we moved state side and I shipped my collection over, so I know exactly where the book is right now.

Know nothing of KCG or even what it is, know it is on here, but are the two related in some way.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
A recent family death provided me some old bibles and diaries which led me to this forgotten cemetary once again, there is something here, I just need to discern it. The farther I dig into history and the ground, the more fascinated I get.

Tombstones are a great way to find clues.. read what I posted on the Tombstone tourist thread about the way names were sometimes used. There isn't Always a grave where you see a headstone.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey thanks man, when I get to the books, should I load up a copy on here. Been a good while since I opened them, last time I even touched them was when we moved state side and I shipped my collection over, so I know exactly where the book is right now.

Know nothing of KCG or even what it is, know it is on here, but are the two related in some way.

That would be very nice of you to load copies of your WOW books!!

Generally speaking WOW and KGC are Not Connected.. But there are situations where WOW monuments were used to leave messages. They are separate entities though.

Kace

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
WOW started in 1882 (Omaha, Nebraska); Nebraska was a VERY important state for OAK "activities"... INTERESTING history.

The dowser

Jan 16, 2019
Arizona
Detector(s) used
One of a kind long range (miles) dozer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know were a lot of these monuments Are, and the names on them are always Confederates, I Associate thers with the nights of the Golden Circle members or they’re very close relatives, these were Members to guard the great treasures so they could restart the confederate war after they had more children

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that one of my relatives was buried with a WOW headstone, but not one of the "stumps". It was a regular headstone with their logo on it. I remember doing a little reading about the organization when I came across the headstone. I was surprised to find that they still exist. I went and found which relative it was and he was also a Mason. I have copies of photos from his funeral where there was a line of Masons there at the grave site.

WOW.jpg

ETA...I was just looking at some other information and apparently he was a member of the Oddfellows as well.

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Woodmen of the World was an Insurance Company.

Part of the original benefits included a headstone. Some are the stumps, some not, not all are marked WOW where you can see it...if at all. Some are basic, some really elaborate with limbs to be added or taken away. Some have a lot of symbolism on them. Some not much.

In the beginning, the Only Requirement WOW had was...Policy Holders Had To Be a White Male to get a Policy. It didn't matter if you were located N,S,E,W...It Didn't Matter if the Man Had Union or Confederate Affiliation or Beliefs. He Didn't Need to be a Mason. Just White and Male is All That Was Needed To Get A Policy and Be Guaranteed a Tombstone.

There are definitely some very cool WOW tombstones and interesting to research them.

Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread