What's new

Worked Quartz?

paleomaxx

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2016
Messages
842
Reaction score
6,915
Golden Thread
6
Location
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting today and this turned up in a plug. I find all sorts of natural quartz shards around from glacial till, but this one just didn't look right so I held onto it and figured I would post it to see if it actually was worked. It was in a field so it's possible that a plow hit it a few times.

20181209_194113.webp20181209_194101.webp20181209_194143.webp

What do the experts think? Worked or natural fragment?
 
Upvote 0
Tough one but about 90% of my finds are quartz and i would say yes I was on the fence until I saw that serrated edge and the thickness of it id say you have a nice knife with just a bit missing from the tip and some base damage , good find
 
Tough one but about 90% of my finds are quartz and i would say yes I was on the fence until I saw that serrated edge and the thickness of it id say you have a nice knife with just a bit missing from the tip and some base damage , good find

Thank you! The relative thinness of the piece is definitely different from the usual quartz chunks in this area. I can't imagine trying to shape quartz like this into a useful tool with all of the natural fractures and inclusions. It must have been an incredibly tedious and frustrating process.
 
Definitely looks worked to me. Quartz is always tough to tell in pictures, but to me, yours looks worked.
 
It is something that is hard to tell from pics. If there's a lot of quartz in that spot somebody could have picked that piece up and did a little test flaking then tossed it. Other more readily identifiable artifacts in that area would back that idea up.
 
Thank you! The relative thinness of the piece is definitely different from the usual quartz chunks in this area. I can't imagine trying to shape quartz like this into a useful tool with all of the natural fractures and inclusions. It must have been an incredibly tedious and frustrating process.

Welcome , I’m sure it was tough to work with which really makes you realize how skilled they were I have quite a few quartz points that are beautiful and worked as well as any other material , the translucent ones are my favorite
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom