Working Corn Fields

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, Deeptech Vista X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going to hit the field again this coming Saturday. Both the 1700's house and the 1900's house were by two well-traveled roads. On Sunday I worked the area that would have been right behind the house. About 20 yards from the road. I did find a lot of trash. Nice sounding can slaw.

The field is about 100+ acres. Would you guys start working the more toward the center of the acreage rather than where the houses were? I'm thinking less trash, but maybe less chance for good finds. It's going to be slow going since the stalks are still about a foot tall. Would you go with a smaller coil that's better in and around the stalks over a larger coil?

I'll be using my Impact, it worked very well on Sunday. The Legend was quiet. The Manticore factory coil will be too large, I think.

Any suggestions for corn field hunting?

Thanks...

Upvote 2
Well, after finding nothing but can slaw over the last two days I have decided to bail on the cornfield. It's been a frustrating experience and I'm happy to say it's over. If the area was iron infested, I could deal with it. But this aluminum infestation is just not tolerable. I spent time each day trying different areas of the field far away from the homestead. Very little iron and lots of 10-84 signals that turn out to be either bits of can or can tops. Earlier this week I began to swing 4-6 inches high above the ground when I hit a good signal. If I could still hear the tone at that height I just moved on.

So, the field turned around and bit me in the rear again. Now I began to find signals that were only heard close to the ground, and they turn out to be small bits of can or foil. There may be good items left in that field, but I'm just tired of looking there.

Going to hit the field again this coming Saturday. Both the 1700's house and the 1900's house were by two well-traveled roads. On Sunday I worked the area that would have been right behind the house. About 20 yards from the road. I did find a lot of trash. Nice sounding can slaw.

The field is about 100+ acres. Would you guys start working the more toward the center of the acreage rather than where the houses were? I'm thinking less trash, but maybe less chance for good finds. It's going to be slow going since the stalks are still about a foot tall. Would you go with a smaller coil that's better in and around the stalks over a larger coil?

I'll be using my Impact, it worked very well on Sunday. The Legend was quiet. The Manticore factory coil will be too large, I think.

Any suggestions for corn field hunting?

Thanks...
I have a permission that's always used for crops.

It's an 1800s farm still standing and a cottage that's no longer there.

One side of the farm which I detect a lot gave me some late 1700s to modern finds where the cottage was however like 40m down from what would probably have been the cottage fence line I start to get older finds on almost half of the field (it's about 200+m long). These include military stuff from late 1700s but there's a lot of stuff from 1500s and some random older ones

Basically scan everywhere and see if you find hotspot or stuff older than they know.

Another farm I went to said late 1800s farm nothing older, found Roman and medieval stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back