World War 1 Book? Howard P Savage Signature - National Commander of the American Leg

gabriel101101

Sep 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a set of books ''source records of the great war volume 1-7. This book says it was made strictly for one person and i have seen other books of this type with other people signature. This book was made for Howard P. Savage who has his own wikipedia page and was in world war 1. These books were printed in 1923 and has official looking documents inside. Is Howard P. Savage's book worth anything?

Howard P. Savage
Born Howard Paul Savage
January 3, 1884
Boone, Iowa
Died May 7, 1944 (aged 60)
Chicago, Illinois
Cause of death Pneumonia
Nationality American
Alma mater
Lewis Institute of Technology
University of Wisconsin
De Paul University
Occupation Businessman
Title National Commander of
The American Legion
Term 1926 – 1927
Predecessor John R. McQuigg
Successor Edward E. Spafford

Early life and education[edit]
Howard Savage was born in Boone, Iowa.[1] He attended the Lewis Institute of Technology, University of Wisconsin, and De Paul University.[1] In 1910, he became an engineer for the Chicago Elevated Train, eventually working his way up to General Manager of the Metropolitan Motor Coach Company.[1]

World War I[edit]
Savage was commissioned a First Lieutenant of Engineers on June 7, 1918 and assigned to the United States Army's 55th Engineer Regiment, serving on railway construction in France until July 1, 1919.[1] WP_20161209_005[1].jpgWP_20161209_001[1].jpgWP_20161209_002[1].jpgWP_20161209_003[1].jpgWP_20161209_004[1].jpg

They belonged to Private Harry Linwood Park, rather than to Howard Savage. While they may have been the 1923 edition, It would seem they must have been bound in 1926-27, since that's when Savage was the AL Commander. But as noted on the certificate they were all supposed to have come with this personalized paperwork, so I don't think it adds a whole lot.
They seem to be in very nice condition, so that's a plus.

Upvote 0
This is a first for me, great find.

Upvote 0
You may want to contact the American Legion to see if they have a family contact who might like to have them. Perhaps a Great, Great, Grandson?
Cool find, Congrats

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back