Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2016 has been a dry year for me. I have plenty of silver coins and rings but no gold. July 1st my Excalibur started fritzing and I sent it to Kellyco knowing I may not get it back in time for the season. In retrospect I should have tried the repairs myself but Marty found a crack in the housing that I was unaware of so it may be a blessing in disguise. I did not get it back but Sunday the wind blew and blew hard from the Northwest. I headed to a bay beach nearby with my Safari and my hip waders.
Sure enough the wind blew half the water out of the bay. Its what I dream of and while I can think of dozens of places I'd like to swing I only had 2 hours so I prayed that I pick the right spot. I was hi and dry in spots that would normally be 3-4 feet deep! I headed out to the waters edge and started swinging. There was a suspicious lack of targets. No pennies, no quarters, no dimes, no bottle caps or pull tabs, no good signals anywhere. These small bay beaches are relatively calm and the swimming areas are small so its easy for them to get cleaned out right after Labor Day. The only targets were tiny iffy and /or deep. I started hitting earrings which other hunters had left behind due to the steel pole backing making the signals undesirable and they would fall through all but the finest scoops. Finally a tiny foil signal bouncing between 4-7 and I see a flash that looks like a pull tab. I threw it in the pouch and kept swinging until my battery alarm sounded. As I was reloading I walked back toward the high ground and pumped a spectator for info. He told me he came there daily and told me where the people play in the water. I asked him if he'd seen anyone else detecting and he said there'd been a guy out there in a wet suit for the past several weeks right after Labor Day. He said the detectorist spent a couple days on this end, a couple days on that end, then worked the middle and then he stopped coming back so the guy assumed he wasn't finding much anymore. I was a little crestfallen since the same thing happens every year at these beaches and every year I am trying to get out there but as you all know one thing or another keeps you home. Damn work, weather errands and chores. I closed out the final minutes out past where the swim ropes would have been and it was barren since no one is allowed out that far swimming. Then emptybay.jpgtinyring.jpg my alarm beeped telling me there were ten minutes to haul ass to the car n get out before they locked the gates. When I got home I found all the earrings were fake but the tiny ring had a hallmark 10k A.A.J. It is one gram and the value is roughly $16 but to me its priceless to break the streak. I'd love to know what my other local hunter(s) found but other than OBN and a few other guys I don't see much from our area. I guess we'll just have to dream...

Upvote 0
Nice! My last gold ring, found about a year ago now, is .9 gram. It's a little tiny toe ring. Grats to ya and HH ALL.

Gold is gold! Gz on breaking the dry spell!

You're back in the gold game, Congrats!

You did Great TB!! I missed out on the big blow out, I op-ed to head inland and south for a week, locally it has been bleak.

Red Says Its Called A Ring Guard I don't think It Was Guarding Anything No go look For the Ring HH Chug

Good score...you know your detector is not missing anything when you get the small ones...congrats.

Thanks guys! OBN, the excal turned out to be a loose wire which bums me out because I could have tried the repair myself without risk. I X-rayed the coil but could not discern the damaged wire. She's on the way home on Monday so I can try n get after the gold a bit more. I am sad the waers going to feel pretty cold.

Congrats on the GOLD! Still it's a nice ring regardless of it's size. Good job on finding it too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back