What's new

Worn out penny (?) found near Civil War battlefield - Self stamped for use as?

HutchW

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 8, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Yesterday I found what I believe is an old penny/copper coin that has been seemingly crudely stamped with CS on each side five times. Found in the the same area we have been digging numerous civil war bullets, buttons, and even one US plate. Most of the relics found have been Union but we have found a few Confederate bullets in the mix. I really like this find, but assume it may be one of those you can never quite figure out.

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2467_2_1.webp
    IMG_2467_2_1.webp
    118.5 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_2466_1_1.webp
    IMG_2466_1_1.webp
    117.2 KB · Views: 536
Considering the letters aren't a perfect match it would be engraved not stamped. I do agree it's very cool, and most likely something you will never have an answer to, but it's one of a kind and most I'm sure would consider it a very good find.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Considering the letters aren't a perfect match it would be engraved not stamped. I do agree it's very cool, and most likely something you will never have an answer to, but it's one of a kind and most I'm sure would consider it a very good find.

Thank you for your time and input, Iron Patch.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Cool find. It seems I remember some other coppers that were stamped CS or CSA posted here..

Im sure yours is authentic but this one raised some doubts with modern fonts. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,276610.0.html

Thank you bigcypresshunter! The more I stare at this thing the more I love it. Maybe some ole' boy was just hanging around bored with all the action around him...then again, maybe someone did it in 1940, but I don't think, as this was found at about 8" deep, the same depth as the other relics we were finding in that area.
 
Upvote 0
Its an older type of lettering than the one I posted. Its an older type font. It kinda looks stamped to me... individual letter stamps. hard to see, kinda small pic. Arent the individual letters all a match in size and shape?
 
Upvote 0
Yes sir bigcypresshunter - to my blind eye it looks like a stamp, as the letters appear to match in size and shape. I defer to Iron Patch's comments, as I really have so little knowledge on this subject. I don't mean to be a pain but have attached another photo hoping it may help you see it better.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2469.webp
    IMG_2469.webp
    263.5 KB · Views: 476
Upvote 0
HutchW said:
Yes sir bigcypresshunter - to my blind eye it looks like a stamp, as the letters appear to match in size and shape. I defer to Iron Patch's comments, as I really have so little knowledge on this subject. I don't mean to be a pain but have attached another photo hoping it may help you see it better.

Yes, that picture makes it look more like it's stamped. In the smaller pictures corrosion and partial stamps made some look like some didn't match, and of course you wouldn't have two different stamps striking the same coin, it just wouldn't make sense. The good news is an engraved coin would be one of a kind, but with a stamped one there's MUCH more chance to get an ID... especially one saying CS, because it's the sort of thing that could be recorded from CW digs whether it be archeologists or just someone who found it and started emailing around for info.. There's also a chance it might not even be related to the Confederates and just be a merchant stamp, but at least now you have a shot at ID'ing it.
 
Upvote 0
Understood. Thank you so much again for your input!
 
Upvote 0
Looks to be an early Georgian halfpenny, maybe the 1806/07 type
 
Upvote 0
is it octagonal?
 
Upvote 0
Again, thanks to all for your input. I can see why you'd ask if it's octagonal, but it appears it was round to start with, but has been misshaped a bit by being banged on and/or bent by someone holding a grip on it, etc.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom