hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
My understanding is that platinum is sometimes found with iron. So ya I'd take a look.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What did they mine there ? If you're talking about prospecting (some sort of mineral or nuggets, etc...) then perhaps. Then that would be a question for prospecting/mining forums.

But if you're talking about coins and relics of the miners, then no. The places they "worked" is not the place to be detecting for their fumble fingers losses. You want to hunt where they LIVED. Their miner towns and tent cities could be a considerable distance away. Wherever they ate, slept, drank, shopped (bought/sold/commerce) is where you want to hunt, NOT where they worked.

It's easy to get drawn to the visible ruins of things that still exist-to-be-seen, like stamp mills, mine entrances, sluice-box foundations, etc... Simply because they're still visible to us today. However, the tent-city zones can be totally invisible today, hence not "eye-catching" like processing/mining work-zone stuff. Find out where the workers lived, and those are the zones to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread