cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wondering if anybody here had ever heard of combining geocaching with metal detecting? I was thinking it might be an interesting activity to hide a coin or other metal object and post the GPS coordinates for others to find. You could either remove the item and replace it with something similar, as traditional geocaches operate, or it could be a static find that is left in place over a period of time. If you're not familiar with geocaching visit geocaching.com to learn more about it. Just curious if any members here think that might be a fun spin on both hobbies. Love to hear your comments.
Steve

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always thought it could be fun, never tried it however.

Keep @ it and HH!!

S

stefen

Somewhat similar...under General Locations, California heading, there was a geocash for a MD site in Long Beach...for buried cash.

Found within hours of posting.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
GeoCaching is more of a challenge than using a metal detector to find a buried object. The government has released the codes so modern GPS units can get real close to a set of coordinates. However, you need radio correction to get sub-meter accuracy and a unit with a data logger and several hours of collection time to get locations within an inch or so. Most handheld GPS units may have the ability to use radio correction but it is not that common to actually use it to much advantage. So the ones carried around are good to maybe 20 feet or so. So when you are GeoCaching, you get close to where the container is and then you have to find it on your own. Many times they are hidden pretty well and hard to spot and the GPS won't help much. If you get withing 20 feet of a buried object with a GPS, it won't take long to find the object with a metal detector. It's a good idea, the item just won't last very long and if someone is supposed to replace it with something else, after a few hours/days, the hole will be visible from a long ways away.

Maybe somebody can think of a "spin" to put on it so it won't be so easy.

Daryl

T

TreasureTales

BioProfessor said:

Daryl

The GPS coordinates could be for the location (as you said, within 20 feet or so is as close as a GPS can get you, then use the detector) of a buried treasure map (must be buried in a metalic can), then you have to follow the map to find the actual buried coin. The map could include clues. Making it part GPS, part Metal Detecting, and part treasure hunt. This is something I would like to do, and keep it entirely within TreasureNet. We could call it something like GeoHunting. The GPS coordinates could be given here and the finder could post pix of the coin s/he retrieves and the coin s/he uses as a replacement. Of course, for others to enjoy the hunt, the finder has to replace everything exactly as found - with the exception of the coin, which s/he replaces with one of similar value.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you could make special geocoins or use standard metal geocoins---I use geo to lock in hot spots that way-- the spot remains even if the land changes somewhat.--- geohunt sounds fun but not profitible as you have to replace the coin --- and muggles of course would be a real problem in my veiw---ivan

T

TreasureTales

Not profitable? Well who in their right mind would give away silver coins? Muggles? What are muggles? Sorry, but I speak Californian. :D Seriously, does anybody get anything good out of a geocache find? The best part of geocaching is actually finding the cache, and writing your pseudonym in the log book. So at least Geohunting would offer something good, albeit something that has to be replaced in kind. It's the hunt and challenge, is it not?!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
muggles are a geo term --used for those who "mug" or rob a geo cache site taking all and leaving zip---they can be bad seed geo folks or "strangers" who see a geo cacher at a site and raid it later when they leave-- they can also just stumble upon it and raid it too. my point is if the find was of great value that folks would hunt them down and rip them off---thus the "cheapo" factor of items in geo caching today ---cuts out the money grubbers-- many would happily take the silver coins and leave nothing behind sadly ---thats my point---the metal of the coins would have to be of low money value and common enough not to be a "collector item" to work--in simple terms--the search effort would have to cost more $$$$ than the find would be worth $$$$ in cash money---Ivan

T

TreasureTales

ivan salis said:
muggles are a geo term --used for those who "mug" or rob a geo cache site taking all and leaving zip---they can be bad seed geo folks or "strangers" who see a geo cacher at a site and raid it later when they leave they can also just stumble upon it and raid it too. Ivan

Thanks Ivan, now I know.

True story, one year I volunteered to create a treasure map with clues. The members of our local metal detecting club were to find the buried "treasure" and write their names and the date on the paper inside the buried can, and at a certain future date known to all members, the can would be dug up by me - and the members whose names were on the list would win a couple of US silver dollars. So I made the map and the clues and buried the can, then awaited the pre-appointed dig-up date. Many members called me at home, trying to get bits of info from me - which I steadfastly refused to divulge. Anyhow, when the day came to retrieve the can and see who won silver dollars, I noticed an unfamiliar name on the list. Turns out, the state department of transportation had cleaned out the runoff gullies along this particular road and had unearthed the can. One of the employees was instructed to rebury it - once they realized it was a legitimate club burial - and he was the guy who wrote his name and address on the paper inside the can. Our club voted to send the guy a silver dollar because he had reburied the can for us. He must have been pleasantly surprised when that dollar arrived in his mail with a brief thank you note from me. LOL, that was a hoot - except nobody ever made up a similar hunt for me to enjoy - drat!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
argh-- you have pirate blood in ye --thus the treasue map and your generous but tough when riled nature. ;D ;D ;D Ivan

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Why not put to use those unrecognizable Z-Lincolns? A roll of them would not be worth swiping IMHO ;D

T

TreasureTales

eagle77 said:
Why not put to use those unrecognizable Z-Lincolns? A roll of them would not be worth swiping IMHO ;D

Well, yeah, and not worth finding, either. :D Nope, it should be something worthwhile, but hard enough to find that only a treasure hunter with a metal detector could do so. We don't want some mugger swiping the booty. (How's that for treasure lingo??!!)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
scallywag use scallywag-- we don't want any scallywag swiping the booty argh!!!! ;D
YO HO YO HO its a pirates life for me. ::) Ivan

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, it should be something worthwhile, but hard enough to find that only a treasure hunter with a metal detector could do so. We don't want some mugger swiping the booty.

I agree, it should be something worth finding, without being ultra-valuable. I personally have a bunch of finds that I would swap as part of the game. Common mercs, no-date SLQ's, even some small sterling rings that might be a thrill for someone else to find. Plus the opportunity to swap our finds would make it all the more interesting.

Am I being naive here in assuming members of this and other detecting forums would be above wanting to swipe the stash?

I don't think it would that easy. First you've got to get to the general area. Then, even with the accuracy of some of these units, you figure you've got a radius you're going to have to hunt. We all know how hard it can be to find a silver dime in the woods, especially if it's up against a root, or close to a stone wall.

Anyhow, I may just try it this weekend, I'll post the location here on this string and see how many of our local detectors pick it up...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread