Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just did a pre order for the Legend pro pack for myself, was going to also purchase a Vanquish 540 pro pack for my grand son but have read some things i do not care for on the vanquish it also reminds me to much of the AT Pro which I have never liked and I always felt was way over rated even though I own one, and that's just my opinion , so I am now debating either a Nox 600 or a Orx for my grandson i want him to have a machine he can grow into either of those two i can get for around $150 more than the vanquish. my grandson is 12 getting ready to turn 13 so it will be a birth day present
where i need the input is which do others think would be better for my grandson, we will not be hunting ocean beaches unless California finally falls off into the pacific ocean LOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That really does not answer my question
My grandson has been detecting with me on several occasions and has been showing interest for several years now so I want to surprise him with a good machine he can grow into

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not get him a Legend too? That way you can both learn together. Otherwise, I'd go with the Equinox.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My vote is Fisher F-19. New they go for $450. I just bought a second one used for a little over $200.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That really does not answer my question
My grandson has been detecting with me on several occasions and has been showing interest for several years now so I want to surprise him with a good machine he can grow into
Get the Vanquish. I haven't used my Equinox 600 since I got the Vanquish 540 to test. Great machine and underrated!

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Get the Vanquish. I haven't used my Equinox 600 since I got the Vanquish 540 to test. Great machine and underrated!
Hey Terry, I have a bid on a used Gold Bug 2 on ebay. If you recall, I am going gold prospecting and have zero experience. If I can get it for $500.00, then I will. I like the functionality of this thing. I am getting the hang of what ground balancing, discrimination, all metal vs gold is all about.
I see you like the vanquish 540. I see the advantage of multi frequency. I can get a new one for about the same price as the gb2.
Here's the question. Do you think the 540 can do as good or better job in the gold nugget department as the gb2?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For bigger/deeper nuggets, yes. For tiny nuggets, no.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a way, yes. It has to do with which frequency is used. The lower frequencies are better at ground penetration. The higher ones are more attuned to finding small gold, but sacrifice depth. Using multiple frequencies you can get both to a certain degree. If your area has nothing but shallow flyspeck gold, the Gold Bug would be a good choice. Otherwise, I would use a better, more advanced detector. That can get real expensive quick however. Another important aspect would be which would have the best ability to handle highly mineralized ground conditions, if you have that in your area.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In general a lower frequency will go deeper, and a higher frequency will find a smaller shallow target. In theory a multifrequency machine is the best of all worlds, but reality is how well does the machine perform the task. A Swiss Army knife does not work as well as a dedicated knife, but it does a number of things OK. Metal detectors are similar. One that is great in one situation, will be limited in another.

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
In a way, yes. It has to do with which frequency is used. The lower frequencies are better at ground penetration. The higher ones are more attuned to finding small gold, but sacrifice depth. Using multiple frequencies you can get both to a certain degree. If your area has nothing but shallow flyspeck gold, the Gold Bug would be a good choice. Otherwise, I would use a better, more advanced detector. That can get real expensive quick however. Another important aspect would be which would have the best ability to handle highly mineralized ground conditions, if you have that in your area.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm still in the research phase of gold hunting. I like the simplicity of the GM 1000. I really like the GB 2. I believe (and I'm probably wrong) that after some practice, the GB will be a better detector for me.
I'm liking the multiple frequency machines, but only have a limited budget. If you know anybody out there that wants to part with a Gold Bug 2 for $500.00, send them my way.
On another note: I can't seem to find a classified ad section on this website. Any suggestions?
Thanks again for your help. You Tube videos don't answer questions ha ha.

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
In general a lower frequency will go deeper, and a higher frequency will find a smaller shallow target. In theory a multifrequency machine is the best of all worlds, but reality is how well does the machine perform the task. A Swiss Army knife does not work as well as a dedicated knife, but it does a number of things OK. Metal detectors are similar. One that is great in one situation, will be limited in another.
Thanks Danny,
That's a good analogy, the Swiss army knife and metal detectors. Do you have any advise on which "pinpointer" would work best? I'm leaning towards that "carrot" one. I can't think of the name right now.
Thanks

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to be a charter member to post in the want ads. As for pin pointers, there's not a lot of difference in sensitivity between the major brands. All of them will work if the nugget is big enough. None of them will work on a tiny nugget. You're better off with a plastic scoop or waving handful of dirt over the detector coil, like we all did years ago coin shooting.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Danny,
That's a good analogy, the Swiss army knife and metal detectors. Do you have any advise on which "pinpointer" would work best? I'm leaning towards that "carrot" one. I can't think of the name right now.
Thanks
I have a Whites TRX that I usually use. I also have the Nokta pinpointer. I like the power switch on the Whites. It is easier to turn on with one hand. The TRX may be difficult to find now that Garrett bought Whites. I see a cheap $20 version on EBAY. It looks like China Crap.

Last edited:

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
You have to be a charter member to post in the want ads. As for pin pointers, there's not a lot of difference in sensitivity between the major brands. All of them will work if the nugget is big enough. None of them will work on a tiny nugget. You're better off with a plastic scoop or waving handful of dirt over the detector coil, like we all did years ago coin shooting.
Seems counterproductive to exclude new members from accessing the classified ad section. I would rather buy my metal detector on this site, than ebay or Craigslist.
As a new member not yet out in the field, I may not enjoy it. I don't know how much it costs to "upgrade" my status, but shouldn't "free enterprise" be free?

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems counterproductive to exclude new members from accessing the classified ad section. I would rather buy my metal detector on this site, than ebay or Craigslist.
As a new member not yet out in the field, I may not enjoy it. I don't know how much it costs to "upgrade" my status, but shouldn't "free enterprise" be free?
I only found one definition online for Charter Member, one of the original members or founders of a club, organization, etc., but $20 will get you the title here. If you sell on Ebay they will charge you 3% I believe, so to sell a $400 detector will cost you $12.
Free Enterprise means they are free to charge whatever the market will bear.

Iggy_AZ

Sep 26, 2020
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Minelab SD2200V2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had a Vanquish 540 since they came out a few years back and enjoyed easy finds compared to all the Metal detector I have previously.
For me the 540 can find so much money on salty sandy beach I think it paid for itself already.
Now I have no experience with artifacts just beach combing.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cheap, 20 bucks. You support the site and can participate in the political discussions. Free enterprise only means that the enterpriser is not encumbered by law - it doesn't mean they have to give away their product for free.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread