swVa

Feb 16, 2015
Christiansburg Va.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to metal detecting and getting hooked more and more every time I go. I have an old Radio Shack Discovery 1000 model #63-3011. If any one is familiar with my machine I have a couple questions! About how deep will it detect for objects like a coin; how will it do on the beach for vacation time coming. I have got the discrimination adjusted and learning the tones. I have found a couple coins next to my drive way and lots of foil wrappers/cans. So I just question what could I be missing? I would like a new machine like an Ace 250 or a AT pro if I found one cheep. Just have to bring myself to come off the money!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
While you are waiting for a response- don't know if you are interested but found a manual for your puppy on: RadioShack Discovery 1000 with Dual-tone Discrimination System 630-3011

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steer clear of the ace machines or you will be right back here in 6 months....you will out grow one of those pretty quick.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steer clear of the ace machines or you will be right back here in 6 months....you will out grow one of those pretty quick.

OR... You will be very happy with an Ace 350, such as thousands are, including myself. Don't listen to anyone who has it in for any brand. Do your own research, go with what fits your budget, and which machine will fit your detecting goals.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I surely do not "have it in" for Garrett as my main machines are the ATpro and AT gold. I would actually very much recommend these as I love them both. But until you use one of these you dont realize the difference between them and the ace series. The biggest difference is recovery speed when hunting in heavy iron or other trash...

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live in VA, you probably have highly mineralized soil. Your detector has a fixed ground balance. If you upgrade, I'd recommend a detector with an adjustable ground balance. The AT Pro is a good choice if you can fit it in the budget.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best advice that I can give you is to do your research on machines. The AT PRO and GOLD are great machines. If money is a problem then use your current machine to find things to pay for an upgrade. I have paid all of my machines off fairly quickly with my finds. I just sold some gold that I found at a local jewelry store that buys gold at the market rate. I got $214 for some rings, earrings and a gold tooth that I found. All of my gold that I find are in tot lots. They add up quick if you hit a lot of them. The machines will always be there when you are ready. As others have said about the Ace series they are ok but for a little more get a much better machine and they are waterproof. You can find some good used ones that can save you some money as well. Welcome to the hobby.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try your local detector shop as a lot of them do carry used units.
Do your research first. Reviews, ads,, etc. Also check the old posts here for units you might like.
Just remember there is no perfect detector. But today they do come very close.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey SWVa ...you got any good spots down there to go? I can bring the ATpro and gold down for you to try out one weekend....I use to hunt in Floyd County....its a few hours down I81 from me....

OP
OP
swVa

swVa

Feb 16, 2015
Christiansburg Va.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate everyone's response and have done some online searching and sounds like from what I have seen if I buy the AT pro and decide it wasn't the machine for me I shouldn't have any trouble selling it; so I believe I might have to break bad and just buy one! DiggerinVA since I hope to be placing an order soon you don't have to make the just for me, but if your in the area sometime I would be glad to come along, I don't have many places to try yet. Hopefully soon I will be posting some pictures of some good finds!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also what kind of hunting are you doing? I mainly hunt for civil war relics and come up to the Culpeper area twice a year for the DIV hunts. You really need a pulse machine to hunt that area as the soil is very hot. You can get a very good used White's TDI for $600 to $700 and it is a killer machine for brass. All brass give a high tone and all others give a low tone. Your button finds will skyrocket. I even use it here in east Tennessee as it is a great relic machine. Also the Garrett ATX is another good choice but a little more expensive. I also have the AT GOLD and love it for areas that are not hot ground especially in the woods. The AT machines will work in hot soil but will be limited on depth compared to the pulse machines. I dug bullets with the TDI 18" deep with nice tones in the hot soil in Culpeper.

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely go with the AT pro. Mine has paid for itself 10 times over. I have the At gold At pro and XP deus. And for the money the At pro is the best.

I brought my AT pro out a couple of weeks ago and found a huge 18k ring worth around $400. That is what I paid for it used on ebay...like I said I have nothing but good things to say about it.

OP
OP
swVa

swVa

Feb 16, 2015
Christiansburg Va.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did get my AT pro a couple weeks ago and I really like it. I h took it out a couple times and found a WW1 button and several coins; which includes a 42 wheat and 41 quarter. I am surprised how deep I find things compared to my old detector. I have found out I need to buy a pin pointer now; I tried to save some money and not buy the bundle but wish I did now! Maybe now I can get the new Garrett AT pinpointer. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting and getting hooked more and more every time I go. I have an old Radio Shack Discovery 1000 model #63-3011. If any one is familiar with my machine I have a couple questions! About how deep will it detect for objects like a coin; how will it do on the beach for vacation time coming. I have got the discrimination adjusted and learning the tones. I have found a couple coins next to my drive way and lots of foil wrappers/cans. So I just question what could I be missing? I would like a new machine like an Ace 250 or a AT pro if I found one cheep. Just have to bring myself to come off the money!

Check out this link ,
any questions give me a call
dennis

Metal Detectors - View Blog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread