Would someone mind taking a look at this video and letting me know...

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not Sure - I reminds me of the Fiskars soil knife or a lowes version which has garbage welds I ruined two before I just broke down and bought a Lesche. I haven't tried the Hori-Hori but I have heard the Tomita stainless is very good.
The Lesche or kellyco version is around $25 and will last you for life. I also haven't tried a wilcox but will order one soon and give it a go.

* Did you ask the weird guy? Nice channel

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not Sure - I reminds me of the Fiskars soil knife or a lowes version which has garbage welds I ruined two before I just broke down and bought a Lesche. I haven't tried the Hori-Hori but I have heard the Tomita stainless is very good.
The Lesche or kellyco version is around $25 and will last you for life. I also haven't tried a wilcox but will order one soon and give it a go.

* Did you ask the weird guy? Nice channel

I gave up YouTube many years ago - when I found out Google bought them out. The only place I'm online is here. :)

DOH, I just noticed he used two different knives. The Black handled one is the one I'm interested in. the Red (I think) handled one looks to be a Wilcox. If it is, that's one sharp digger but, so is the Hori-Hori.

Oh, and thank you very much for the info.

Cheers.
-DH-

Last edited:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks loke one of the cheaper style soil knife from walmart/home depot. Google Soil Knife and find one you like. The root slayer brand look ok.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks loke one of the cheaper style soil knife from walmart/home depot. Google Soil Knife and find one you like. The root slayer brand look ok.

Thanks for the info but, it seems too sharp to be a "knock-off" brand.

I like the reviews on the Wilcox so I will probably go that way.

I'm in no hurry as I have a DR.OTEK and a Root Slayer but I need something a bit more narrow and without "teeth" for ground without roots.

Cheers.
-DH-

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just go to YouTube to watch the video and post your question in the comment section? He seems to answer all the questions he's been asked...

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just go to YouTube to watch the video and post your question in the comment section? He seems to answer all the questions he's been asked...

Because I do not have a YouTube account nor do I want one.

I gave up YouTube many years ago - when I found out Google bought them out. The only place I'm online is here,

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What knife this guy is using? Maybe a Hori-Hori but which one?

I gave up YouTube many years ago - when I found out Google bought them out - so I'm not able to ask questions.

I've seen a lot of videos where this knife, or one similar to it, is used.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers.
-DH-

That's a "MLTools" digger,...... I use one in bad neighborhoods.

Miltools digger.JPG

https://www.mltools.com/

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because I do not have a YouTube account nor do I want one.

I gave up YouTube many years ago - when I found out Google bought them out. The only place I'm online is here,

Ooops! I should have noticed that you mentioned that in a previous post.

That tool does look desirable. I really love my Hori-hori tool, but wish is had a tiny bit wider blade and a bit of a scoop shape for removing material from a hole. The black-handled tool in the video looks like that. I'll post the question in his comment section! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops! I should have noticed that you mentioned that in a previous post.

That tool does look desirable. I really love my Hori-hori tool, but wish is had a tiny bit wider blade and a bit of a scoop shape for removing material from a hole. The black-handled tool in the video looks like that. I'll post the question in his comment section! :laughing7:

No problem and thank you for helping!
-DH-

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a "MLTools" digger,...... I use one in bad neighborhoods.

View attachment 1799073

https://www.mltools.com/

Just found out the the ML Tools knife is NOT full tang. This is not that big of a deal to me because of all the great reviews I've read.

I'm going to buy a Hori-Hori but I do not know which one yet - probably the one like you have with the wooden handle.

Just some FYI.

Cheers.
-DH-

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the guy who made the video:

"I use a Wilcox 14 x 3 inch Trowel and sometimes a no name trowel from lowes."

A Wilcox trowel has a red handle, so the black-handled one in the video must be the one from Lowes?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the guy who made the video:

"I use a Wilcox 14 x 3 inch Trowel and sometimes a no name trowel from lowes."

A Wilcox trowel has a red handle, so the black-handled one in the video must be the one from Lowes?

Thank you for getting that info for me desmobob!

I checked Home Depot and Lowe's online this morning and found that they sell a wide selection of name brand trowels (diggers) for the same price, or lower, than Amazon.

I'll be heading to both this afternoon to check them out.

Now... if I could only figure out how to add [SOLVED] to this post - I have no option to do so under Thread Tools.

Thanks again.:notworthy:
-DH-

Last edited:

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to have been of some help!

FWIW, I have used a good Japanese hori-hori tool for years. I don't think it could be bent or broken by a human being. :-) The only downside is the wooden handle will start to beat up my hands after a long day of digging. Also, the blade is somewhat narrow and nearly flat, so it isn't great at scooping loose soil out of a hole (not such a big deal since I started wearing gloves while detecting).

I eventually bought a Lesche digging tool. The hand guard and round handle are nice, although they add bulk to the tool. The hori-hori hangs in its sheath like a knife and is very trim and unobtrusive. Toss-up.

I also splurged for a Predator Piranha shovel a while back. Wish I had done it years ago. I detect mostly in the woods and this shovel is wonderful for slicing through roots, etc.

Now that I'm getting older I find that, in a lot of cases, I waited too long to get the nice items that make a hobby more enjoyable. Don't struggle! Get the best-suited tools for the job and have the most fun!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one almost exactly like that one at Walmart. I think i paid 10 dollars for it when i was in Fl It works good Aknife.jpg

I also noticed your feet were pretty clost to the coil. make sure you have no metal in your shoes. Some times even eyelets or shims in the bottom of shoes can change it. When ground balqancing find a clean spot to ground balance first. I usually swing over a spot to make sure no interference is under when i am going to ground balance. Hope this helps

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread