Would the Nokta fors handle pickers?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still in the market for a good all around land machine, something that can handle relic hunting, coin shooting, and even picker hunting. If such a beast exist? I'm only going to have room for one land machine and a few coils so I need to to get the most bang for my buck. Already got the Excal and various coils for all of my water hunting.

Here's a link to the machine in question:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...-core-beach-review-new-detector-consider.html

Upvote 0
I've ordered the Fors, should arrive this weekend. Haven't told the wife though. G.W. give me a call so we can go out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminder only Supporting Vendors and Charter Members can sell here...

Not to take the tread but I said it here so I figured I would update it here. :)
I got RE-Sick and went down for the count again! lol
I've never been so sick, so often in my life as I have been with having kids in School. lol

Anyways, I feel much better today and its sunny so I am going out once my oldest gets home to make my unboxing video of the FORS Gold in the sunlight against some nice green grass. :)

Not to take the thread but I said it here so I figured I would update it here. :)
I got RE-Sick and went down for the count again! lol
I've never been so sick, so often in my life as I have been with having kids in School. lol
Anyways, I feel much better today and its sunny so I am going out once my oldest gets home to make my unboxing video of the FORS Gold in the sunlight against some nice green grass. :)

Sunlight? Ain't seen that for days..lol

Glad yer feeling better though...this time allow your body to get
well before you start working it hard again..
digging_zpsefcf9a69.gif~original

Thanks Mike, the sun was very nice today. :)
I finished the video today, its converting right now and will be up a little later this evening.
First impressions were very good, I got the Pro kit and this is what I would recommend to everyone!

After a little over 6 hours of upload time it finished somewhere around Dawn! lol
Here is the link, its not a review but it gives everyone a great near-hands on feel of what they will receive in their Pro Package.

Oh and this was taken with a GoPro Hero 3 Silver edition on 1080p @ 60fps for those who might be wondering about picking up a GoPro.

Also, I am sorry for kinda taking over the thread.
I have some pickers that I will try with my new machine and post that video up over the weekend to relate to the thread. :D

I just purchased a FORS GOLD here in Australia where we have very high mineralised ground. I have two questions for Californiagold, if he is available. 1. Can you tell me what the mineral number is on average when your'e detecting in your highly mineralised ground. ( Here in Victoria my machine reads around 83-85 ). 2. Are you getting a lot of broken signals and finding that the machine comes up with a lot of false targets. Also, are you finding that the machine often will sound one pass but not the return pass over the target. Mine does this a lot. Also I'm finding the Fors is not particularly good at target separation in rubbish. I did own a XP Deus. This machine was extremely good at this.....Regards...Ronnie.

Hello Ronnie

Actually i was wondering myself how a fors gold would operate in victoria. I am not experienced in austrailian minerals so maybe someone on here can chime in. But i can tell you about what i experience here in our heavy mineralization with the fors gold. Maybe the mineralization is common. Anyhows my ground balance reading depending on the spot but usually in bad minerals here is 75-80. Sometimes lower or higher. I have found that in really bad mineralization fors gold is best to operate in the default mode ( boost mode) instead of general mode( all metal). It is very erratic and chattery in general mode in these strong minerals. Even if you turn the sensitivity way down in general mode it is chattery. So it is better to start with boost mode. I run mine in boost mode , with id mask at 10-13. And sensitivity from 50-85. Sometimes i can run it higher around 85. But if you get around alot of scattered quartz rubble it gets a little noisy so you might turn it down some. In these type mineral fields you do get some mineral chatter but most chatter only goes off as a signal one swing but not the rest. Only once in a rare while you get a signal that goes off every swing that turns out to be mineralization. After hunting these conditions for a while you get a ear for real signals and ignore the chatter. These effects of chatter with the minerals is intensified when the ground is wet. I have tried several detectors including my gold bug and they experience the same symptoms. But fors gold is a strong detector so it chatters just a little more then other vlfs. I find birdshot size #8 or smaller with the fors gold in these conditions with the stock 11" coil or really small gold. So the fors gold will do the job and get stuff deeper. As far as seperation in trashy metal areas a smaller coil would be the first thing to try that way you dont have 2 or 3 targets under the coil at once like a bigger coil can get. Fors gold has very fast target seperation between signals and i havent had any troubles. If you believe theres gold in the trashy stuff, you might have to do the old fashion just remove all the junk technique. I have seen a iron and good target signal at the sametime. Fors gold grabbed both signals very fast. So i removed the iron signal and there was a piece of gold right with it. This happens quite often. Worst case scenario is to run the detector in di3 mode on fors gold. You will probably lose some depth but it quiets it down considerably. The isnt much depth difference in boost mode versus general mode. So best to try them first. And turning the sensivity down to 50 is not a big loss of depth aswell. Hope this helps and makes some sense for i did get a big blow to my head from a fall and suffering from concusion still. Lol .
Take care

Thanks for the info Mate. Much appreciated. I must admit I'm finding the FORS quite different to other VLFs I've owned. The thing that is getting me most is the overloading that happens quite often on ground with no target under the coil. Iv'e had MXT...Garrat AT gold...XP Deus...None of these was as pernickity as the FORS. Also the many false signals and jumping around ID readings and coil sounding on one pass but not the return and also when scanning the other way (crosswise) getting nothing at all. But having said all that, when it's on to a strong target it's quite definite. And you're right about the Boost mode. I've also found it's the best. Makes you wonder if that's the reason they set that as default. I do suspect it may turn out to be a very good machine. Just takes a bit of getting used to. Ergonomically and from a feature point of view it's a very nicely thought out machine. I have asked Steve for his opinion but would also appreciate yours....Don't know whether you've owned one but am wondering how do you think the FORS compares to an MXT????? Personally that was one machine I very much enjoyed, and one of the few I regret selling...Thanks again...Regards...Ronnie.

I was hunting some super red stuff the other day, she is a little chatty in boost but that's just fine to me.
I got 1 false signal and I suspect it was birdshot that I couldn't find. I was using the stock coil.

Still a beast of a machine. :)

Ronnie are You using Tracking?I notice when I use tracking if its mineralization the detector will pick it up on one swing,but not on the next.

Look at other post of Cal Golds on Notka Fors gold as you'll see the proof that crazy thang works and finds gold that even GB Pro won't find as side by side comparisons made already in numerous conditions. The thang is indeed interesting as Hungary is the EU hotspot for techie advances. Government,EU, spend many 100s a millions there creating a techie industry. John

I think the reference to Hungary in the above post must be a typo. Nokta is a Turkish company and their products are made in Turkey, not Hungary. Just want to give the credit where the credit is due.

- Bob

Hi. All. I have used the fors in tracking, but Iv'e had the same thing happen when not too. Usually though the target is either an iffy one or a very small one or nothing at all. The fors is quite definite when on to a good target. The main problem I'm having is a fair bit of overloading on ground where there is no target at all. Maybe I need to wind the sens. back further than the preset factory 50 in these cases. Mineral reading is around 83-85 when this is happening. Had a patch of ground the other day where this happened over an area of around 20 sq. meters. I do have a habit of running my coil as low to the ground as possible even scrubbing it as I was used to this with my old ML GPX4000. Used to find more gold that way. Maybe tis not a good practice with the Fors. What do you think???

Hi. All. I have used the fors in tracking, but Iv'e had the same thing happen when not too. Usually though the target is either an iffy one or a very small one or nothing at all. The fors is quite definite when on to a good target. The main problem I'm having is a fair bit of overloading on ground where there is no target at all. Maybe I need to wind the sens. back further than the preset factory 50 in these cases. Mineral reading is around 83-85 when this is happening. Had a patch of ground the other day where this happened over an area of around 20 sq. meters. I do have a habit of running my coil as low to the ground as possible even scrubbing it as I was used to this with my old ML GPX4000. Used to find more gold that way. Maybe tis not a good practice with the Fors. What do you think???
Have you tried manually ground balancing it to see if that helps first?

Yes. Did try manual GB. Didn't seem to make any difference. Just remembered though. Turned the machine off and on again. That did work.This was when it was overloading on that one large area.

Thanks Jack. I will give that a go. Someone else said vibration mode had a few tricks up it's sleeve too. Don't know why that would be, but we'll see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back