BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Appears to be Chert to me as well. The crystal pocket looks like a vug but could be the entire inside, which I guess would make it a geode.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banded agate or banded jasper. Cherts tend to be black and white with sharp cleavages like flint, a relative of chert, and your specimen shows flaking more along the lines of agate and jasper. The reds lead me to believe its more jasper than agate but both are in the same family.
Geodes have open interiors of crystalline structures and banding around the central vug. Geodes can be considered hollow agates that just have not filled all the way in. Geodes are also stand alone stones. The piece you have looks to have come from a bigger matrix and the crystal pockets are vugs inside the host rock. Nice piece though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dawnhvr

Sep 5, 2013
I think it's called a nodule when it's filled in. A geode is hollow. Not positive but I think so. That is awsome !!!! I've been looking for a geode all summer and have not found one yet. I live in western pa. I have fun looking though .

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A filled geode is considered an agate nodule and yes true geodes are hollow :thumbsup:

Good luck with your hunt.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread