diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've recently been detecting an area that has some history,is on private property and I have full run to dig as much as I want.The problem is, the area is full of trash,none visible but plenty of aluminum,nails,broken bottles,etc. under the dirt/sand.I have been slowly removing the trash over the past few months and have found an occasional coin or two,nothing real old yet.My question to everyone is; Would you spend the time cleaning out all this trash in the hopes of finding more silver once you've "cleaned up" the area or would you spend your time searching more familiar areas that your used to hunting that aren't so "trashy"?Personally i'm gonna keep at it.Iif nothing else,there'll be a nice clean lot when i'm done! :)

Upvote 0

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I have spent the time to clean up several spots. Much of the time I found nothing at all. But I did feel better knowing I really tried. Hunting a spot with so much trash can cause even the best detector or th'er to miss a thing or two, so cleaning a spot makes good sense when you have the time. Good luck & HH! Chris

N

neu

i hate trash myself, i usually run the detector over a spot with low disc, then i run it on max, if i still get a tone i will dig it.
but i hate spending a month digging trash only to find nothing.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Think of it as removing pollution for future generations! 8) Don't know that I'd spend the time unless it was pretty close to home and I could just go over for a little each day. If things get depressing there, spend the time and look for another spot, but keep going back afterwards. :)

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I got the same problem staring me in the face. A site of about 10-15 acres that I am almost positive had a Civil War camp very nearby, possibly on this spot. It also once had an older church on it as well.

The problem is that it was ALSO a trash dump at on time, or so I am told. I did get lots of signals doing a quick check one day, so I am afraid this is true. Could make a nightmare to detect, but think I am going to give it a shot anyway once we get some MUCH needed rain. Do some spot digs in the relic range just to see if anything turns up.

N

neu

ouch, relic range? wont u be digging up a lot of trash that way? sounds like a nightmare to me, ive been hunting on and off on the farm i live on for 6 years, still havent cleared all the trash, but the farm is great in that it was used in troop movements in the civil war as well as a camp. and also i just found out that during world war 2 it was used for training by some local military personel. dont know whether the last is true, or if its just this area and not this property, but i have found many many civil war relics.. but the trash i dig is unbelievable :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread