For some reason gun stickers really don't cut the mustard on the door, so what it's just a sticker. I've never had anyone answer the door showing a barrel before, and I would have to wonder what they had to hide if they ever did.
Best policy is to knock and step way a few feet staying in sight just to give the person some space when they open the door, and the first thing I usually say is I'm not selling anything, but could you help me. Holding an old map seems to cool the heels of most mildly irritated folks even, curiosity kicks in quickly.
A sense of ha, ha goes a long way in life.
yep I usually knock, then take a step back, & look to the right or left.
this gives them the option to peak out & pretend they are not there,
if they scare when seeing strangers .
My first words are "Hi ! I'm sorry to bother you but ...."
this usually puts them on the plate to try & put me at ease.
They either have to Be nice & say "No Problem , what can I do ya for ?"
or show their colors by Scowling at me . in which case it's "warning will Robinson !!!!"
I don't remember anyone telling me to take a hike though.
even when their answer was no they do it with the usual lie.
"I have a Detector & plan to hunt it one day", "I'm buying the kid a detector."etc.
I don't knock at doors to ask to detect though.
I knock to ask who owns the place next door,
Or to drop a Name. "so & so told me you would be able to help me"
if the place is loaded with No Trespassing & they are in the Middle, My first words are
either as I approach them "Sorry ! I see the No Trespassing signs but...... "
Or I stand on the edge of the property like some will do to request hopping aboard a Boat. & wait for them to either approach or wave me on.
it all goes by Hunch & Judging the book by its cover.
But if It does take allot for me to knock at a strangers door,
Because I know how I hate people selling