Would you say the "Priest Stone" is the decoding key for the other 2 stone maps?

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
nitric acid has been around for thousands of years and that is how they refined precious metals....mercury will attach to silver but it will not purify it...lime and borax are flux's used in smelting

Azdave

It seems Nitric Acid was invented in 1647, that falls way short of thousands of years. Now it seems to be the things I picked have been around for thousands of years. Such as Mercury borax lime and cinnabar. Mmm[emoji3]

But using nitric acids is nothing more then a oxidizer,
Witch means in the lay mans terms in nothing more then a bellows. Forced air into the mix, is a oxidizer.
So the mine of chalky stuff was used as a flux, and a bellows applied the oxidation.

So pretty much of your smelting advice was not to correct.

Wrmickel1

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Azdave

It seems Nitric Acid was invented in 1647, that falls way short of thousands of years. Now it seems to be the things I picked have been around for thousands of years. Such as Mercury borax lime and cinnabar. Mmm[emoji3]

But using nitric acids is nothing more then a oxidizer,
Witch means in the lay mans terms in nothing more then a bellows. Forced air into the mix, is a oxidizer.
So the mine of chalky stuff was used as a flux, and a bellows applied the oxidation.

So pretty much of your smelting advice was not to correct.

Wrmickel1
i still don't think you are getting this....you don't refine silver in the smelting process....you refine it with nitric acid after the smelt...very simple process...if you tried to use nitric in the smelting process something real bad might happen:BangHead:...most miners back then didn't bother to refine ...they just smelted and sold it to a refiner ...i may just have to write a book to educate you:dontknow:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrol

I would say , the Priest stone is the decoding key for the fourth stone map which is the Latin stone heart . Also in the Latin heart region could be applied the stone Cross map and the Cursum Perficio map .

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AZ Dave, you posted ---- a bead of precious metal which is measured or weighed to tell how many opt (ounce per ton)

"You then have to seselectivly separate the metal content then weigh each individually. A 3 (gpt)Gold bead is mighty small,you handle it with the point of a needle. but it is the result of a typical gold mine today..

I used to scrounge all of the dead cattle nearby to use their bones for my cupels, at times of need, mixed up to 1/3 with previously tested cement. :tongue3::laughing7:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
AZ Dave, you posted ---- a bead of precious metal which is measured or weighed to tell how many opt (ounce per ton)

"You then have to seselectivly separate the metal content then weigh each individually. A 3 (gpt)Gold bead is mighty small,you handle it with the point of a needle. but it is the result of a typical gold mine today..

I used to scrounge all of the dead cattle nearby to use their bones for my cupels, at times of need, mixed up to 1/3 with previously tested cement. :tongue3::laughing7:

don jose....they call it parting the bead..its done in nitric acid.....you dont have to buy an expensive scale to weigh the beads anymore...you simply measure them with a dial caliper..example: a 0.20" bead of pure gold comes out to one opt..technology has made assaying a bit easier

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a smelter location on the stone maps I don't know about?

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Dave, how many 1 oz mines have you seen lately>>:laughing7: generally grams / ton I enjoy your posts
my friend.

I used a standard balance and a kahn electornic balance. Now you can go to harbor Freight and get a lil elecronic balance for around $ 20 . sigh.

That old standard Balance is sitting in the bookshelf just across the room. The Dove likes to cozy up to it.

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hola Dave, how many 1 oz mines have you seen lately>>:laughing7: generally grams / ton I enjoy your posts
my friend.

I used a standard balance and a kahn electornic balance. Now you can go to harbor Freight and get a lil elecronic balance for around $ 20 . sigh.

That old standard Balance is sitting in the bookshelf just across the room. The Dove likes to cozy up to it.

jose..us hillbillies up here still use the old standard ounce per ton...lol..about 30 or so years ago the guys at action mining came up with a very accurate scale for measuring assay beads with a dial caliper (as long as your starting with an assay ton)...buy by far the cheapest and easiest way to assay is a torch assay....cost about 50 cents an assay and you can do an assay in ten minutes

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a smelter location on the stone maps I don't know about?

Yes, It's the Horse Map is the Smelters, And I pasture to the North is the Silver mines. And at the entrance of the main mine The Horse from Santa Fe Stands.

Wrmickel1

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
az, I agree with the torch assay for an in the ball park assay.. The trouble I had when assaying was to get a relaively round bead, they always were slightly irregular. but for the small miner adequate.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
az, I agree with the torch assay for an in the ball park assay.. The trouble I had when assaying was to get a relaively round bead, they always were slightly irregular. but for the small miner adequate.

jose...when i first started using torch assay i too was getting irregular beads (blobs) ...after some experimenting i found the problem to be insufficient scorification..in other words i wasn't burning off all the base metals before cupeling ...i started spending more time in the scorifying stage and it cured the problem

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread