What's new

Wounded soldier

McCDig

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2015
Messages
3,753
Reaction score
9,039
Golden Thread
1
Location
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An early morning hunt in the city....

Yes, my soldier's seen better days, but this die-cast lead figure is the largest toy figure remnant I've found to date; it bears some of the original paint. Down about 7 inches, it was my last find of this morning's hunt in Baltimore City. On the south side of the park I dug a 19th century suspender clip piece; it has a clear patent date of "1856 & 70", so it may be the one piece today that broke the century barrier for me. Along the way came 4 wheats dating '26, '39, '40 and '52. Good to get out and swing the coil before getting on with the day's work.
Finds.webp
 
Upvote 28
Very cool,
I'm still looking for my first complete Lead Soldier.
Congrats
 
Thanks ATW! Was thinking of applying for NYC detecting permit. My wife's sister lives at 190th St and is near Fort Washington Park. Have you detected there?
 
Looks like the die-cast solder may be one of Barclays, The Bugler.
Barclay Bugler.webp
 
Cool I got a war ww I last year ! Happy Hunting
 
Thanks Tn mountains! My first.
 
McDig, you are correct on the Barclay Bugler, congrats! Sub 8-)
 
Thanks Sub! I didn't hold much hope in identifying the piece, but there are some distinctive features that helped, along with good internet sources.
 
Thanks Art! Looked like a chunk of metal when it first came out, but with a rub I could see it had detail.
 
Cool find...I found most of a Barclay this past spring.
 
Congrats romeo-1! These have some age on them. The paint job must be decent, considering mine had a good amount left after all those years in the ground.
 
Congrats on the cool finds. :occasion14: I like lead toys too. They always bring a smile when I see them in the hole. They are rarer than Indian Heads in my area.
 
Thanks L-D! I was anxious to field-clean the suspender buckle and, wouldn't you know it', I knocked one of the two clasps off in the process. Down it fell amongst the grass. I tried pin-pointing it, but to no avail. Upside is that it's and old piece and cleaned up well with a couple applications of peroxide.
 
I got my first lead soldier this winter, and Sub ID'd it for me. I really like them!

The suspender clip is really nice too, extra ornate!

Well done sir!
 
Thanks L-D! I was anxious to field-clean the suspender buckle and, wouldn't you know it', I knocked one of the two clasps off in the process. Down it fell amongst the grass. I tried pin-pointing it, but to no avail. Upside is that it's and old piece and cleaned up well with a couple applications of peroxide.

I think we have all damages or even ruined some finds when we try to clean them in the field or even at the house. Some things just get brittle with age. We live and learn.
 
Very cool find. Toys are one of my favorite finds especially the old ones. Congratulations!
 
Congrats!! I love finding the old lead toys. We don't found them very often but, enough. My last one was an Indian chief and it still had a lot of original paint left on it.
Last year the boy and I hit a early 1900's yard and found a whole army of WW1 lead men. Lol At one spot I found 16 in a small 3 foot area.
 
Finding old lead toys is also a favorite find of mine. Frustrating when pieces are missing. I have an indian that needs help. I have whistles, animals, soldiers, cars, trolleys, trumpets, a rocking horse, guns, and baby cradle that are all lead. And now lead causes cancer? Go figure!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom