🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Woven Iron/Steel

MojaveSteve

Greenie
Jan 2, 2023
I see this stuff everywhere all the time in can dumps and for the life of me I can not figure out what it could be. Flat, braid woven steel (or iron?) wire, much like an electrical ground strap (but I'm certain it isn't for that purpose.) It's often seen in loose circular coils roughly 20" to 24" in diameter with open ends (there are no closed circles of it).
Because I don't know what it is, I don't know if it might be a regional item, but if it helps, I'm in the Southwestern United States.

Attachments

• 20230111_183736.jpg
    20230111_183736.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 223
  • 20230111_183906.jpg
    20230111_183906.jpg
    902.7 KB · Views: 91

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been run over... stepped on... crushed... whatever.... NOW FLAT. ? ? ?

LOOK at it looks flat... perhaps it is... but.... heh
He doesn't say it is 2 ply, which it would be if it was a smashed tubular thing. Maybe the op can clarify that.

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is more likely the one used / is what Ops might be...

$_1__96600.jpg

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I really think they are components of rat-chiting -devices.

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
i shouldn’t have to ask AGAIN but, is

MojaveSteve intentionally leaving out pictures of the other end in an attempt to stump us? More pictures? All these responses and nothing from the op. I’m done here.​

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MojaveSteve

MojaveSteve

Greenie
Jan 2, 2023
Not quite understanding the size.
Are the coils all the same thickness and width (looks like 1")?
Or is the with of the item 20"-24" wide?
Not a grounding strap as it's steel, and not chain link/chicken wire fencing as was suggested.

Wonder if it's from mining operations used to screening material?
Because it's a loose braided design it's width will vary, typically about 3/4" wide, sometimes as little as a 1/2", sometimes as much as 1". It is woven flat (not tubular as some have suspected).

When I mention coils, I mean that it tends to curve, not lay out straight. Typically you might find anywhere from 3' to 7' of it. And those lengths will naturally curve around in circles that are roughly 20" to 24" in diameter.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
MojaveSteve

MojaveSteve

Greenie
Jan 2, 2023
i shouldn’t have to ask AGAIN but, is

MojaveSteve intentionally leaving out pictures of the other end in an attempt to stump us? More pictures? All these responses and nothing from the op. I’m done here.​

Sorry for the late response. Busy life.

No, I'm not intentionally leaving out the other end to stump anyone. My sample photo shows about four inches of the stuff. Typically I find it in lengths anywhere from 3 feet to 7 feet. It doesn't lay out straight, instead it naturally curves, usually about 20 to 24 inches in diameter.

I always find it in can dumps and always rusty, sometimes corroded completely through into smaller lengths.

It isn't grounding strap because its far too inferior in quality for that purpose, there are never any 'end point fasteners' on it or lugs or terminals and there's always quantities of it that would far exceed what is typically needed for grounding.

You are correct, I should provide more pictures of it, especially hi or I find it on the ground and in can dumps. I'll shoot those the next time I'm out.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
MojaveSteve

MojaveSteve

Greenie
Jan 2, 2023
Might be old battery cabels IV seen them too
I could be wrong but I highly doubt that it serves any grounding or electrical purposes. I find lots of it at a time and it never has any means of connection on any of the ends. No terminals, lugs, clamps, soldering etc.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is more likely the one used / is what Ops might be...

View attachment 2064760

Yep... tubular just like the OPS.
so many times you are so adamant about knowing what things are, yet are wrong.....Maybe slow down a bit and consider other options. Being so stubborn about things when you are wrong is going to mislead people trying to learn.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so many times you are so adamant about knowing what things are, yet are wrong.....Maybe slow down a bit and consider other options. Being so stubborn about things when you are wrong is going to mislead people trying to learn.
Dude your beginning to become a real pain.

I SAID MIGHT... why dont YOU READ.

No one was "adamant"... except you obviously about me.

With thousands of solves under my belt... and you offering little more than criticism.

I mean... have ever even solved something at all ? ? ?

For IF SO... i dont remember it... its YOU that needs to slow your roll.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And in almost 9 years on here...
you are the only one to ever voice a complaint about my posts.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude your beginning to become a real pain.

I SAID MIGHT... why dont YOU READ.

No one was "adamant"... except you obviously about me.

With thousands of solves under my belt... and you offering little more than criticism.

I mean... have ever even solved something at all ? ? ?

For IF SO... i dont remember it... its YOU that needs to slow your roll.
Not that it matters but yes I have solved plenty of things, but its not a competition its about lending knowledge to solve something. I didn't add suggestions to this thread because others already covered my thoughts, the others that you spent several posts arguing with them telling them they were wrong when they were in fact much closer than you were. relax that head is not gonna fit through a door frame pretty soon

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread