🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Woven Iron/Steel

MojaveSteve

Greenie
Jan 2, 2023
I see this stuff everywhere all the time in can dumps and for the life of me I can not figure out what it could be. Flat, braid woven steel (or iron?) wire, much like an electrical ground strap (but I'm certain it isn't for that purpose.) It's often seen in loose circular coils roughly 20" to 24" in diameter with open ends (there are no closed circles of it).
Because I don't know what it is, I don't know if it might be a regional item, but if it helps, I'm in the Southwestern United States.

Attachments

• 20230111_183736.jpg
    20230111_183736.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 223
  • 20230111_183906.jpg
    20230111_183906.jpg
    902.7 KB · Views: 91

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And... so you know before i leave off this silly crapola...

I base my opinions of items posted for a solve on a lifetime of hands on experiences / knowledge.
I don't just imagine it is something... i pull what i can from it and post those thoughts in hopes it may trigger someone or something in a better direction.
IF i think it is something other than what others state... it is still nothing more than my opinion which i may or may not stand on.

Regardless of how it all appears to you... Its called "interaction".

If you don't like the way i approach or interact with someone's posted item for identification... then by all means step up and solve it.
ESPECIALLY if you know what i have said is incorrect... then post WHY.
Don't just wait around in the shadows and wait to attack me or anyone else when you don't agree or have found what you think is that "aha moment" about something I SAID<

I cannot help but notice you have not done this to anyone else who also says / does the exact same things as me... and that makes it personal... and makes me wonder.

Upvote 1

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I base my opinions of items posted for a solve on a lifetime of hands on experiences / knowledge.
I don't just imagine it is something... i pull what i can from it and post those thoughts in hopes it may trigger someone or something in a better direction.
IF i think it is something other than what others state... it is still nothing more than my opinion which i may or may not stand on.

If you don't like the way i approach or interact with someone's posted item for identification... then by all means step up and solve it.
Don't just wait around in the shadows and wait to attack me or anyone else when you don't agree or have found what you think is that "aha moment" about something I SAID<

I cannot help but notice you have not done this to anyone else who also says / does the exact same things as me... and that makes it personal... and makes me wonder.
AH yes never could it be from your actions, must be targeted for no reason at all. poor you, being a victim is hard. Listen I just made a suggestion after years of seeing a pattern of behavior of your actions with me and others, you can take it or leave it. No need to get this bent out of shape about it.

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

AH yes never could it be from your actions, must be targeted for no reason at all. poor you, being a victim is hard. Listen I just made a suggestion after years of seeing a pattern of behavior of your actions with me and others, you can take it or leave it. No need to get this bent out of shape about it.
The oldest solution to this pissing match is to put the cursor on each other's profile and hit the farking "IGNORE OPTION"
It works wonders till one actually forgets why they hit it in the first place.
So both can put another notch on the score card as it being solved.

Upvote 3

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The oldest solution to this pissing match is to put the cursor on each other's profile and hit the farking "IGNORE OPTION"
It works wonders till one actually forgets why they hit it in the first place.
So both can put another notch on the score card as it being solved.
Fair play, I probably should have kept my mouth shut.

Upvote 3

DanMcG

Dec 29, 2022
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seem to think I've seen this stuff before but I can't place it.
I've never seen anything masonry reinforcement wise that is woven wire, It's always been expanded metal and I've seen the innards of a lot of buildings in my 45 yrs in construction.
Can I assume these dumps are in the Mojave area?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
MojaveSteve

MojaveSteve

Greenie
Jan 2, 2023
I seem to think I've seen this stuff before but I can't place it.
I've never seen anything masonry reinforcement wise that is woven wire, It's always been expanded metal and I've seen the innards of a lot of buildings in my 45 yrs in construction.
Can I assume these dumps are in the Mojave area?
Yes, they are in the Mojave area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MojaveSteve

MojaveSteve

Greenie
Jan 2, 2023
I see this stuff everywhere all the time in can dumps and for the life of me I can not figure out what it could be. Flat, braid woven steel (or iron?) wire, much like an electrical ground strap (but I'm certain it isn't for that purpose.) It's often seen in loose circular coils roughly 20" to 24" in diameter with open ends (there are no closed circles of it).
Because I don't know what it is, I don't know if it might be a regional item, but if it helps, I'm in the Southwestern United States.
I came across some more today and photographed it as-found.

Attachments

• 20230120_164155.jpg
    20230120_164155.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230120_164207.jpg
    20230120_164207.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230120_164231.jpg
    20230120_164231.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230120_164247.jpg
    20230120_164247.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
Upvote 2

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Are there any local history museums in the area that might be able to shed some light on that mesh?

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread