Hello lazabert,
The two previous posts are certainly possibilities. At first I took a look at your post and then started looking at some of the other great finds the TNet folks have made.
I was still thinking about your find and kind of remembering that we have seen something like this posted here years ago. I am pretty sure the image is what is left after
years in the ground of an Angel. It is in the style of the last quarter 19th Century to first quarter 20th Century. Do you have an idea of what medal it may be made of?
If it is a base metal like zinc, lead, tin, or more probably a pewter alloy, then it might be a casket decoration. Were you detecting anywhere near old grave yard. Beau O.
has a video on youtube where he finds a big old bone orchard back in the woods that was all overgrown and most of the graves had been dug into years and years ago.
I imagine with such careless digging stuff went everywhere.
Good Luck,
Phil
(wagbert)