What's new

Writing as a job

Sparty, Ole Friend,
Glad you like the sites. I'm finding it hard to find puzzles that are challenging...

Back to your original post.
If one has the grasp of and the usage of words, vocabulary and imagery describing abilities, couldn't one also become a lawyer?
Oh! I hear it now....lawyers....BOO HISS! But, don't they make the coins $$$?
A Law Degree. Hmmm...Sounds good...

I'm going to college to be a third grade teacher, but it's still not too late to change my major....

(However, teaching children is my Passion. Would I "sell out" to be a lawyer?)

I suppose either could be an author.... (under a pseudonym, of course...)

What say you?

Best,
Scott
 
spartacus53 said:
AU24K, I'd love to reply to you this instant, but somehow I find lost in that Sudoku puzzle you sent me :laughing7: It's actually pretty good, I started with the puzzle on the left, then moved to the one on the right to help solve the center portion.

I'm up in NJ, rarely metal detect as my time is now spend tracking down the Jersey Devil.. I've been following several sets of tracks for months now, but I believe I am in the correct region. I am in the epicenter of activity and seem to lose the trail when I get right up to my house :laughing9:

MY God!
MY EX-WIFE is in New Jersey?!?
Man, you better run! FAST!!!

Best Wishes,
Scott
 
Did you know that the USA has over 1.1 million lawyers :dontknow: That is about 75% of all lawyers worldwide.. :laughing7:

You have to pursue what makes you happiest, and what you really have a passion for that won't fade. Chances are, once you start one occupation, it's difficult changing horses midstream. Unless you're the Lone Ranger, or Tom Mix of course :tongue3:
 
Sparty, Ole Buddy,
You have just clinched it for me...A Teacher I will be! :thumbsup:

Rest your laurels in knowing that you have helped the future of Mankind! :hello2:

Best Wishes,
Scott
 
I have some secondhand experience with writers as a career. Fact is this; If the publisher thought they could make 1 dollar on you, they will publish it for you. Also, 'bloggers' are not the same as 'writers'. Bloggers make their money on advertising when their website is successful enough (and when you have enough blogs) that people want to come and read your posts, and then you get money from the ad revenue. Writing a book is totally different. I knew a guy (he was mildly behind is his cranial abilities) that wrote a book. The local newspaper completely tore him a new one (and he was in denial for a long time). But, the fact is, anyone can write a book, and even publish it themselves...(have 100 books made). But, to get it into stores, will either take commission, or reviewers that will give it credit so the exec's will give your book a place on the retail floor. Keep in mind, even in the grocery store world, that, even with creating something as simple as sauce, you have to pay the store to 'shelve' it for you (typically 5k for HEB in Texas). If it doesn't sell, you are out that fee, as well as the publishing costs... So, having a literary reviewer to read your book (and they themselves charge a fee just to read your book) is quite expensive.

But, in a perfect world, if you write very well, and it's a book that you can't put down until you read the entire thing in one sitting, (I recently read one of those), all you have to do is send it to one reviewer, and it's gravy train from there on.
 
Freelance writing = The bigger the money, the more competitive writing becomes. Getting your work placed at .05 a word isn't all that difficult, but making the bigger money is a whole different story and requires a lot more effort, and in most cases, "proof and/or credibility as an accomplished writer is required."

Books = You can self publish but it can be expensive and you'll have to do all your own marketing. Or you can spend months, or even years, just trying to get a good agent or publisher to read a page of your work. Most of the time your query will receive a standard letter while the actual sample of your work gets tossed in the slush pile, or worse.

Breaking into the writing game is tougher then you think. However, depending on what you're writing about, sometimes it can just come down to timing and luck.
 
When I was a Park Ranger, I used to write an article for 6 or 7 newspapers in SW OK. People would come to the park and ask to meet me. My fans were always little old ladies and drunks. Without exception, and no in between. But if I had to write that stuff every week for money, it would have took the fun out of it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom