WW & Co. Eagle Lock

Umbrahabitator

Jun 7, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this up a great deal of time ago and gave it the vinegar treatment to remove the rust caked on it. A lot of rust has formed on the exterior since the time of the original post. The back of the lock is also paper-thin from the years in the dirt and has been making a mess everywhere as it disintegrates.

1. Should I attempt to restore it, preserve it, or leave it as is?

2. If I attempt to restore it; I plan to sand the lock down to get a uniform surface, put some kind of plate on the back to add structural stability, and then blue the metal to protect it from rust and get it closer to what it may have originally looked like. Note that when I say restore I mean alter its appearance and form to bring it closer to its original condition, I don't intend to lock anything with it.

3. If I attempt to preserve it; I plan to leave the surface as it but clean everything and put either a clear coat of paint on it or paint it with resin to prevent rust. Note that when I say preserve I mean to clean it a little and bring it to a state where I alter it as little as possible but suspend the process of 'decay.'

What do you believe would be the best course of action?

20201012_143524.jpg 20201029_123218.jpg 20210727_235138.jpg 20210727_235202.jpg
Thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread