WW2, Silver, gold and junk jewelry from the beach with a pile of clad for good measure

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a few hour to go to one of the schools. I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 107 coins with a face value of $5.34, a Scorpio disk, some tabs and the usual assortment of junk. Nothing special unfortunately.

9695D5CC-E0B4-43A4-965F-98AA222A4190.jpeg

Then I went to the civil war bullet school and only got 3 hours to detect because I got snowed out. It was only supposed to snow shower a little, but it turned into a major storm and after 3 hours of detecting it was timr to leave. It took me over 2 hours to get home (normally a 20 minute drive) because the snow was such a mess on the roads and people were stuck and blocking traffic. I found 40 coins with a face value of $1.66, a key and some junk.

72BA743A-55B1-429F-8E5C-068B39DB64E6.jpeg

We took our usual spring trip to the beach and I got to spent some time detecting the beach at Ocean City and Bethany Beach. The odd thing is when we left home we had 5 inches of snow on the ground. While we were at the beach it was actually 10 degrees warmer at home than at the beach. The beach was still good, 60-70 in the day and mid 50s at night, but this weather is weird.

I spent 17 hours swingin the CZ21 at Bethany Beach on the beach and in a small playground with a tot lot just off the beach. I got to detect a section of beach that normally is fenced off. When I got there it was not fenced off and I ended up doing real well I found over $17 worth of coins in three hours in that section.

All together I found 332 coins with a face value of $35.16 (including a bunch of really crusty zinc Lincolns), 2 floss bracelets with a small tag that set off the detector, a set of cheapie keys, 3 kiddie rings, a dolphin pendant, 2 beads, a cross, a fake gold coin and a necklace.

7003D8B6-B669-4F05-AB83-A2E2CEC465E8.jpeg

AB323C50-8EA7-4B5E-984F-0CEA713D4749.jpeg

The cross is silver and has an SLV marking. The 2 large beads on the string are actually tiger eyes beads.

B85F8973-A498-4388-AA53-BB8E6A9779BD.jpeg

I also found a fork and spoon, a “spice grinder” WW2 ordinance, some dog tags, 2 sinkers and a key.

675C21B3-7CE0-469B-B088-D8AE17AF43BC.jpeg

Bethany still has a decent amount of WW2 ordinance turning up on the beach. It comes in with the new sand every time they do a beach restoration and the smaller pieces seem to keep turning up forever. Most of it is obturator or traveling band. 20mm, 40mm and 100mm explosive shells had a brass band around them to engage the rifling in the barrel (the exploding projectile was to hard). The band is checked on the inside to break up more readily and you can see the groove left by the rifling on the other side. Most of the finds are 20mm with some 40mm (I could have dug more 20mm, but it’s not worth all the effort). There are also a few small pieces of mechanical detonator from the larger shells (bottom of the first picture).

4E68B345-A242-4A18-A7B2-8AC6334106F3.jpeg

When I scooped that coin out of the sand my heart started racing. Did I finally find a gold coin after almost 20 years. OMG!!! Then as I was rinsing some of the sand off in a high tide puddle my brain started to kick in. It felt kind of light and the symbols on it didn’t match the Spanish cross so I started looking more carefully and the symbols and the words didn’t make any sense, so I said darn it is a fake. The metal is sturdy so it had me going for a bit. Normally these fakes get all crusty in the salt water pretty quickly and the gold color comes off the outside but this one has retained the gold color and looks pretty good. Oh well maybe next time. I found them on Amazon, a pack of 36 made by lieb for $12.85.

174C53DF-477A-4DB0-A67A-3C1C18F9CA06.jpeg

A5E7C4B2-C6EF-4B12-ABDC-1354BF731B8D.jpeg

The spice grinder is really for grinding up your marijuana. They are listed on line as spice grinders because they are considered drug paraphernalia in some places and as such are illegal to own. I will dispose of it so I don’t get into trouble.

70DF257A-D6FF-477B-A492-4158DC9F54CB.jpeg 18F9AEDA-191C-4986-9696-AE4BDEEB282D.jpeg

Ocean city was not very productive which is not surprising at this time of year, but I am are always hopeful. The beach was very quiet so in 5.5 hours I only found 56 coins with a face value of $3.26, a toy car, a squashed penny, an earring, a .22 cal. slug, another set of kiddie keys (for a cheap jewelry box etc.) and always a few tabs and junk.

28E57345-3168-43DD-8387-CCA507DC8450.jpeg

The only gold from the trip came from searching the parking lots while my wife shopped. Not very productive here either, but I did find 4 dimes, a nickel, 7 pennies, a squashed earring and a cz on a dangle of some kind. The squashed earring is marked, but because it has been run over so much it is hard to read. It tests as 10k gold. Not a lot of gold but every little bit counts and the gold price is going up.

A543DB2B-59B0-408C-AF93-149637DCC9F7.jpeg

D8B64CF0-0926-4BC0-9599-C5DF8CCDF80A.jpeg

So a little history, a nice old silver cross, a little gold, piles of clad and wonderful outdoor exercise with a little fake gold excitement to keep things interesting. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 88CB4E11-75C2-4A39-91E5-E30A22C2F5DB.jpeg
    88CB4E11-75C2-4A39-91E5-E30A22C2F5DB.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 17

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great summery of your latest hunting adventures, well done.
Thanks for the sharing
Once again you sure dig a lot of targets, especially the WWll ordinance/flack.
I dug a bit when digging in the fields across the pond, sure rang up strong and some were down pretty deep.
A signal that one just has to dig though.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a few hour to go to one of the schools. I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 107 coins with a face value of $5.34, a Scorpio disk, some tabs and the usual assortment of junk. Nothing special unfortunately.

View attachment 2023449

Then I went to the civil war bullet school and only got 3 hours to detect because I got snowed out. It was only supposed to snow shower a little, but it turned into a major storm and after 3 hours of detecting it was timr to leave. It took me over 2 hours to get home (normally a 20 minute drive) because the snow was such a mess on the roads and people were stuck and blocking traffic. I found 40 coins with a face value of $1.66, a key and some junk.

View attachment 2023450

We took our usual spring trip to the beach and I got to spent some time detecting the beach at Ocean City and Bethany Beach. The odd thing is when we left home we had 5 inches of snow on the ground. While we were at the beach it was actually 10 degrees warmer at home than at the beach. The beach was still good, 60-70 in the day and mid 50s at night, but this weather is weird.

I spent 17 hours swingin the CZ21 at Bethany Beach on the beach and in a small playground with a tot lot just off the beach. I got to detect a section of beach that normally is fenced off. When I got there it was not fenced off and I ended up doing real well I found over $17 worth of coins in three hours in that section.

All together I found 332 coins with a face value of $35.16 (including a bunch of really crusty zinc Lincolns), 2 floss bracelets with a small tag that set off the detector, a set of cheapie keys, 3 kiddie rings, a dolphin pendant, 2 beads, a cross, a fake gold coin and a necklace.

View attachment 2023456

View attachment 2023454

The cross is silver and has an SLV marking. The 2 large beads on the string are actually tiger eyes beads.

View attachment 2023460

I also found a fork and spoon, a “spice grinder” WW2 ordinance, some dog tags, 2 sinkers and a key.

View attachment 2023457

Bethany still has a decent amount of WW2 ordinance turning up on the beach. It comes in with the new sand every time they do a beach restoration and the smaller pieces seem to keep turning up forever. Most of it is obturator or traveling band. 20mm, 40mm and 100mm explosive shells had a brass band around them to engage the rifling in the barrel (the exploding projectile was to hard). The band is checked on the inside to break up more readily and you can see the groove left by the rifling on the other side. Most of the finds are 20mm with some 40mm (I could have dug more 20mm, but it’s not worth all the effort). There are also a few small pieces of mechanical detonator from the larger shells (bottom of the first picture).

View attachment 2023461

When I scooped that coin out of the sand my heart started racing. Did I finally find a gold coin after almost 20 years. OMG!!! Then as I was rinsing some of the sand off in a high tide puddle my brain started to kick in. It felt kind of light and the symbols on it didn’t match the Spanish cross so I started looking more carefully and the symbols and the words didn’t make any sense, so I said darn it is a fake. The metal is sturdy so it had me going for a bit. Normally these fakes get all crusty in the salt water pretty quickly and the gold color comes off the outside but this one has retained the gold color and looks pretty good. Oh well maybe next time. I found them on Amazon, a pack of 36 made by lieb for $12.85.

View attachment 2023448

View attachment 2023455

The spice grinder is really for grinding up your marijuana. They are listed on line as spice grinders because they are considered drug paraphernalia in some places and as such are illegal to own. I will dispose of it so I don’t get into trouble.

View attachment 2023458 View attachment 2023459

Ocean city was not very productive which is not surprising at this time of year, but I am are always hopeful. The beach was very quiet so in 5.5 hours I only found 56 coins with a face value of $3.26, a toy car, a squashed penny, an earring, a .22 cal. slug, another set of kiddie keys (for a cheap jewelry box etc.) and always a few tabs and junk.

View attachment 2023451

The only gold from the trip came from searching the parking lots while my wife shopped. Not very productive here either, but I did find 4 dimes, a nickel, 7 pennies, a squashed earring and a cz on a dangle of some kind. The squashed earring is marked, but because it has been run over so much it is hard to read. It tests as 10k gold. Not a lot of gold but every little bit counts and the gold price is going up.

View attachment 2023452

View attachment 2023453

So a little history, a nice old silver cross, a little gold, piles of clad and wonderful outdoor exercise with a little fake gold excitement to keep things interesting. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great summery of your latest hunting adventures, well done.
Thanks for the sharing
Once again you sure dig a lot of targets, especially the WWll ordinance/flack.
I dug a bit when digging in the fields across the pond, sure rang up strong and some were down pretty deep.
A signal that one just has to dig though.
Yes that WW2 stuff sounds too good to pass up and after a beach restoration in Delaware there is a ton of it and you never get it all so your finding it for years.

Thanks to all for the nice comments. Stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good write up for your thousands of holes trip, good fun!
Thanks. I am a digger and I would rather dig trash than leave a goodie behind. We all know that sometime the best finds don’t sound as good as they should so I dig all the iffies.

I like your line about truth. It is something that is important to remember in these troubled times we live in.

Stay safe and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread