Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this WW2 US Navy Dog Tag today and it was found in sandy soil and it seems that the sand completely solidified so I cannot get it off, I think it has partly rusted too, does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the stuck sand, I have tried a toothbrush, and a toothpick. The back is not corroded at all.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515987191.811049.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515987191.811049.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 91
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515987208.813874.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515987208.813874.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 50
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515987261.398264.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515987261.398264.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 5
Try letting it soak in olive oil for a day and then you might be able to pick the crud away with a toothpick.

Hope you can get it cleaned up to read . It would be really cool to get it back to the family.

Nice tag, sure hope it cleans up! :occasion14:

metal_detector.gif
I found that Ketchup works great for removing rust, etc. Pour ketchup into a small glass and submerge the tag for a day.

very cool find, we have returned two dog tags and have been in touch with the families ever since. Good luck on cleaning it up.

ALL the WW2 tags I have found are brass. Could this one be earlier than WW2?

I heated some hydrogen peroxide in the microwave to get crusted sand off of artifacts. However I found that it ate the rust and steel to make thin metal artifacts full of holes and turned them to junk.

Last edited:
ALL the WW2 tags I have found are brass. Could this one be earlier than WW2?

I heated some hydrogen peroxide in the microwave to get crusted sand off of artifacts. However I found that it ate the rust and steel to make thin metal artifacts full of holes and turned them to junk.

It might be earlier than WW2 but I looked up WW2 navy dog tag and it was identical to that. I am pretty sure it is made out of brass because one side is not rusted at all. The soil at this area is really weird because all the silver coins I find there come out completely black but clean up really nice. Thanks!

Have you tried heating up the tag (or freezing it) them attempting to remove the sand particles?
I have no idea if that would work--or destroy the tag, but if all else fails.........
Don...

Thanks! If nothing else works I will definitely try that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back