Goldendives

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2020
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2, Equinox 800, Gatter AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20200125_113659.jpg IMG_20200125_113820 (1).jpg IMG_20200125_113659.jpg IMG_20200125_113820 (1).jpg

Hello, In Morotai Island, Indonesia, on a camp of the American-Australian army during WW2, I have found with a metal detector a dogtag made of Silver, custom made probably, belonging to a soldier from the USA.

Can someone help to find the veteran and give it back?

name: G. G. Carter
Numbers: 841-35-62
other letters: T. 4-43 U.S.N.R.

I don't know how to put the photos with the message.

Thanks for your help, I have been trying to ask on Youtube and on Facebook, but nobody gave a s---t, maybe here things are different.
Tks!

Fabrizio

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The name is actually J.J. Carter. I do not know how to contact WW2 veterans. Perhaps someone on this forum knows. Gary

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck -

Yeah, I read it as J J Carter

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't "U.S.N.R." mean US Naval Reserve?

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1823167 View attachment 1823168 View attachment 1823167 View attachment 1823168

Hello, In Morotai Island, Indonesia, on a camp of the American-Australian army during WW2, I have found with a metal detector a dogtag made of Silver, custom made probably, belonging to a soldier from the US

Can someone help to find the veteran and give it back?

name: G. G. Carter
Numbers: 841-35-62
other letters: T. 4-43 U.S.N.R.

I don't know how to put the photos with the message.

Thanks for your help, I have been trying to ask on Youtube and on Facebook, but nobody gave a s---t, maybe here things are different.
Tks!

Fabrizio

I agree that the name is most likely J. J. Carter
I have attempted to return military dog tags and MIA/POW bracelets with the same frustration that you have experienced. Your artifact is not an official dog tag so it is NOT the property of the U. S. government. However, they may be willing to assist in finding the family of Seaman Carter, as I assume he has passed away. The contact address I have for them is:
Secretary of Defense
Room 3E880
The Pentagon
Washington, DC. 20301

Good luck and thank you for your efforts. Well done, sir!
dts

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding the grave is daily easy. Finding any next of kin is the tough part.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I always start with find a grave. I looked for a j j Carter this is some of what i came up with
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11388114/j_-j_-carter

world war 2 vet navy
this is usually where i start . Do not count on to much though

Good luck and please keep us posted

Thanks, Gary - Great info!

Fabrizio, I’d try getting ahold of the office that keeps records, i.e., county clerk, town clerk, whatever they go by in that location and make some inquiries. Maybe they can put you in touch with a surviving family member. Good luck. This could be a great experience for all involved.
dts

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i noticed this listed J J carter is a mason, as seen on his stone
https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2008/267/11388114_122231071156.jpg

i looked for a lodge in,Clairette, Erath County, Texas
here is the contact pg ken Foreman, click his name send email
maybe he can help to determine if same J J Carter as dog tag
Clairette Masonic Lodge #1052
Clairette Masonic Lodge #1052 - Contact

I always start with find a grave. I looked for a j j Carter this is some of what i came up with
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11388114/j_-j_-carter

world war 2 vet navy
this is usually where i start . Do not count on to much though

Good luck and please keep us posted

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some times i have found the person with find a grave. Then i contact the cemetery and see if they have information on what funeral home placed them there, Then i contact the funeral home and have them check records for next of Kin or even a libraries Obit/ atricles from local news papera for next of kin or who set up the funeral services.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also contact the veterans admin for help

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did some googling and came up empty...sorry
A couple things to note is that I think the initials are actually probably J. J. but could be Lower case g. g. or upper case I. I. although the initials should be uppercase and JJ is a closer match than the lower most of the others...google "old cursive"
Also, faintly scratched at the bottom is " Blood "O". This would refer to the soldiers blood type...might be a clue.
Since it is silver it is not official military. Probably a commemorative tag he had made so it could include any kind of information, possibly even a tribute to this persons relative and not his info at all.
I would take it to a coin shop or military collector for more details and also contact the US Navy Reserve
This is very interesting....good luck and keep looking

OP
OP
G

Goldendives

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2020
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello DTS52, thanks for your help! I see, so if it is a custom made dog tag, is more difficult. I will try anyway, thanks for the address, do you think that I should first send them a letter, or send them directly the Dogtag? isn't there the risk that it might get lost?

Cheers!
Fab

OP
OP
G

Goldendives

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2020
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was something! I am sorry to see that he is no longer with us! I was hoping that he might still be here.. but anyway that is a good start, I can contact the city Hall and explain the situation. Thanks a lot Gare!

OP
OP
G

Goldendives

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2020
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely will keep looking and keep you posted Bonaro, thanks for the advices!

OP
OP
G

Goldendives

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2020
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is Neat CW0909!! He was a Mason!thanks so much for your help, let's see if he is our guy! keep us posted!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in your return. I'm sure the family will appreciate getting that tag back if you can locate them. I would not send that tag to anyone, except the family after you verify that they are related to the persons name on the tag.

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
we care,, im glad you do also....i dont know how to help you,,,please keep trying ,, good morals and ethics are kinda rare nowdays... thank you for yours

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions