WWII Canteen

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Hi Everybody,
Haven't posted on this forum in years as I am usually on the shipwrecks forum because I own a dive center in Alexandria, Egypt and am more interested in shipwrecks and underwater archaeology. However, I also occassionally assist an affiliate company with desert safari's out to the Qattara Depression (of WWII fame) and to the Siwa Oasis.

Was out on the eastern edge of the the Qattara Depression with tourists from the Semester At Sea program and my Land Cruiser got bogged down in soft sand. In the process of getting "unstuck", a canteen came to the surface behind one of the rear wheels. Am looking for assistance in identifying the nation of origin. I suspect that it was used by the LRDG (Long Range Desert Group) during WWII, but can't find a good reference in order to prove it.

Will be out MD'ing the area in the next week or so because the LRDG used to bury their ammo, weapons, water, and food when they were watching a particular spot.

Any help that anyone here can offer in the identification of this canteen would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Qattara Canteen1.JPG
    Qattara Canteen1.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 500
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Mike:
The Axis belligerents closest to the Qattara Depression during the second Battle of El Alamein were the Italians; and those on the Allied side were the Free French--then the British 44th Infantry Division. Six other nations were represented in this battle but those listed above fought closest to the QD. Hopefully, that may limit your search.
Don.......

Map Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/2_Battle_of_El_Alamein_001.png

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Great WWII canteen Mike!! I hope you can find some buried munitions, weapons or anything historical on your return trip. And welcome back to posting on this part of the site. HH Tom

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
Narked1

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Hi All,
Thanks for the feedback....greatly appreciated. Have been able to identify the canteen (partly with all of your help). This is an Italian 1.5 liter canteen manfactured between 1938 and 1945. Can't wait to get back out there and look for some other "goodies"!

Thanks again for the input.
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions