Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this last night and just got around to researching it. It is a WWII 'Clearance and Demolition' civil defense helmet and it still sports the name of the person it was assigned to, a fellow named 'L. Eichner'.
Eichner made sure to write the number '926' all over the inside too, so that must be an important number designation perhaps.

The Clearance and Demolition teams of WWII were assigned with the task of filling in bomb craters, demolishing unstable buildings with dynamite, and clearing wreckage from streets after an enemy bombing raid devastated whatever area they were assigned to. For every 1,000 inhabitants there were to be 2 men assigned to Clearance and Demolition. The websites I went to described this as one of the rare civil defense helmets of the war and are rarely seen good condition. This came out of someone's trash from their front garbage pile. The inner support system is still usable, the only thing wrong is the leather part inside is brittle and crumbles if touched.

Demo 1.jpg demo 4.jpg

Demo 2.jpg demo 3.jpg

20181011_000746.jpg

Upvote 16

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find UnderMiner! Congrats.

Thank god he was never called to duty! The Nazis had the delivery system ready, and they were probably only weeks away from completing the bomb. Records show their planned target was NYC. Pretty scary.

Thanks for sharing and hunt on!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wowza NY is always the target nice helmit

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find UnderMiner! Congrats.

Thank god he was never called to duty! The Nazis had the delivery system ready, and they were probably only weeks away from completing the bomb. Records show their planned target was NYC. Pretty scary.

Thanks for sharing and hunt on!

Yep,, NYC is always the target,, when I moved from NYC, I was expecting to see a puff of smoke in the rear view mirror.
Cool helmet

Last edited:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some places are just good places to be from!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread