WWII Torpedo Squad

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded a Hitler youth armband for this hat a couple months ago (don't want swastikas in the house with my baby). I can't find anything on it online aside from the collector I got it from. He said he couldn't find anything on it either. Maybe someone here can shed a little light on where exactly it is from and perhaps a value.

Attachments

• 100_598_1024x1024.jpg
    100_598_1024x1024.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_599_1024x1024.jpg
    100_599_1024x1024.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 100_600_1024x1024.jpg
    100_600_1024x1024.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_602_1024x1024.jpg
    100_602_1024x1024.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 215
OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone? Been a few years and was hoping for a response.

Snatt

Greenie
Aug 5, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Nautilus,,, Teknetics Lesche T-handle relic hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea. No idea where your'e located, but here in this area Fayetteville/HopeMills NC there are buyers and sellers of military equipment such as Warpath Militaria. Might try looking them up online and send a pic.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Can't help you, but you should check in at your local museum or university for some info. I like history. I belong to a Civil War round table and collect many items from that period, although 95% of them are modern issues. I have a few Confederate flags, a new Confederate knife showing Robert E Lee with a confederate flag on the knife. This is history, NOT some political correctness that had most of the Confederate flags AND statues removed from many areas in the south.

As for the swastika? I metal detect and found a copper good luck piece with a heart, 4 leaf clover, horseshoe, AND a swastika on it. I researched it and found out the token was made in 1920.......BEFORE Hitler took that design for his symbol. But, I look at the swastika as being history, not anything else. I've been collecting coins for a long, long time. Some years ago, I figured the political correct groups would soon try to ban the sale of the 3rd Reich German mark coins.....WITH Swastikas on them. (It's O K for them to be sold in some European countries, but a picture can not be shown of those swastika coins.....more political correctness). I have an extensive German swastika coin collection now, and I think that due to P C, they have doubled in value in the last 6 years.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help you, but you should check in at your local museum or university for some info. I like history. I belong to a Civil War round table and collect many items from that period, although 95% of them are modern issues. I have a few Confederate flags, a new Confederate knife showing Robert E Lee with a confederate flag on the knife. This is history, NOT some political correctness that had most of the Confederate flags AND statues removed from many areas in the south.

As for the swastika? I metal detect and found a copper good luck piece with a heart, 4 leaf clover, horseshoe, AND a swastika on it. I researched it and found out the token was made in 1920.......BEFORE Hitler took that design for his symbol. But, I look at the swastika as being history, not anything else. I've been collecting coins for a long, long time. Some years ago, I figured the political correct groups would soon try to ban the sale of the 3rd Reich German mark coins.....WITH Swastikas on them. (It's O K for them to be sold in some European countries, but a picture can not be shown of those swastika coins.....more political correctness). I have an extensive German swastika coin collection now, and I think that due to P C, they have doubled in value in the last 6 years.

Yeah, it was more the wife who "suggested" I trade the armband. Happy wife, happy life.

I might bring it to a university to get this checked out. I traded it from a guy online who sold military stuff and he wasn't sure about the story with this. It's a mystery for now.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Torpedo Squadron III led the attack on four Japanese aircraft carriers near Midway Island. Japanese aviators from the same carriers bombed Pearl Harbor just six months before the Battle of Midway. The squadron, launching off the American carrier USS Yorktown (CV 2), was almost completely wiped out but was still successful diverting the Japanese planes from the bulk of the American attack.
Don.......

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, Don! Did you just google torpedo squadron 3? I tried that and couldn't find anything. This is great, thanks! Makes me a lot prouder to have this than the nazi armband.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My concern is: IMO that hat does not appear to be worn by the flight crew since there is no obvious ear devise to attach their earphones. If the hat is, in fact, part of the gear of a torpedo squadron's member, then it may be that of a support crew member who doesn't need earphones.
Don........

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My concern is: IMO that hat does not appear to be worn by the flight crew since there is no obvious ear devise to attach their earphones. If the hat is, in fact, part of the gear of a torpedo squadron's member, then it may be that of a support crew member who doesn't need earphones.
Don........

I had a guy who said it was actually just the liner for a hat. So I'm guessing a harder shell type piece would go over it and that any earhole for the speakers would be on that. That way your ears still stay warm while the speaker is loud enough to play through the liner. That's my hunch.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case anyone is still interested, I've been in contact with the USS Yorktown museum at Patriots Point in South Carolina. They believe it is a cold weather hat from an enlisted flight deck crew member. I'm still emailing them back and forth and might donate it if they want it. Thanks for the tips that brought me there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread