WWII Trench Art Ring From Oran N. Africa

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day while snowed in I was looking through my silver rings found in 2013. I came across an ugly homemade silver ring with a mercury dime head mounted on top. I found this ring back in January at an old swimming hole. Upon closer inspection I found inscriptions on each side, side 1 says "ORAN", Side 2 says "N. Africa". So with a little detective help from the wife, we figured out that this was a hand made trench art ring made from coin silver in Oran North Africa during WW2! Back in 1943-1945 US and allies were station in Oran North Africa placing this ring to that timeframe. Also during research I found 2 other examples of very similar design rings with the same story. Pretty neat story if you think about it... A homemade ring found halfway around the world :) Oh and the ring weighs in at 8.42 grams, so a half dollar was probably used to make the signet part and a cut out mercury dime for the top. Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting! image-3449067960.jpg image-983197570.jpg image-2742846665.jpg image-3291180276.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome ring! I didn't know there was any copper in a half dollar made in the 40's?

All 90% silver coinage is composed of 90% silver and 10% copper to give more strength. 1965-1970 half dollars are 40% silver and while looking on the side you can see the darker copper/clad composition.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , I was seeing something like copper showing through - (I thought it could be the photo/lighting ). The method of drilling and removing the
center after hammering the edge repeatedly, Is the more well known method - another is essentially making a washer by driving the center
out first with a disc cutter - then knocking it into a cylinder shape on a mandrel with a mallet - neither of these methods gets you anywhere
near the shape of the "signet" shank you have here . My theory is that the GI's hand cut the merc dime profile with a jewelers saw , and
did the soldering to a pre-made ring shank - which was then crudely engraved with the date / location . The copper showing thru would
seem to indicate a silverplated shank and further supports the notion of a pre -made , and I would suggest- cast shank .

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, someone in my town found a ring my Dad had with Tunisia on it, his souvenier of being there during the war. But my youngest son lost it at a fireworks display in town at the local park. I am sure it was easily spotted by someone detecting the next day, it also was silver. Grrrrrrrrr.
The name Oran caught my attention, here is an excerpt from my Dad's WW2 diary. Oran is where his ship from NYC docked to begin his long adventure thru North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France and finally Germany.....
NORTH AFRICA
21[SUP]st[/SUP] 10PM Landed at Oran (Algeria), went to Lion Mt – 18[SUP]th[/SUP] Repl. Bn, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Reply Depot, 12 mi. from Oran, 3 from St Cloud JULY 1943 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Boarded train 40 + 8 cars – Oran 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Held up 20 Mi. from Algiers – Ammo train explosion – Reached Algiers

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds like that are some of the best I'd say. They have such a personal meaning and history attached to them. My grandpa made a silver ring out of French coin when he served in WW1. He had it on all the time when he was living. He told me how he made it by beating the edge of the coin with a spoon. After he died that ring never was left to anyone and I can't find it amongst the things my mother has. I'm hoping he was laid to rest with it... That's wonderful find you have!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnificent Find! :icon_thumleft: It's a shame there isn't any more information on the soldier that owned it.

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring! It would be neat if you could tie it to a local veteran.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find and good research. I have a friend who beats coins into rings and insists on using a spoon to do it too. Nominated for banner.

OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , I was seeing something like copper showing through - (I thought it could be the photo/lighting ). The method of drilling and removing the center after hammering the edge repeatedly, Is the more well known method - another is essentially making a washer by driving the center out first with a disc cutter - then knocking it into a cylinder shape on a mandrel with a mallet - neither of these methods gets you anywhere near the shape of the "signet" shank you have here . My theory is that the GI's hand cut the merc dime profile with a jewelers saw , and did the soldering to a pre-made ring shank - which was then crudely engraved with the date / location . The copper showing thru would seem to indicate a silverplated shank and further supports the notion of a pre -made , and I would suggest- cast shank .

The shank is silver but it's not sterling, the smudge is in just on that one spot could be from soldering?. You got to remember that people back then had real hand on skills and were the "do it yourself" type. Achieving a signet style shank wouldn't be that hard. After achieving the washer you secure the ring on a mandrel type tool/piece and tap on one spot repeatedly until it flattens out giving the flat spot.

OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, someone in my town found a ring my Dad had with Tunisia on it, his souvenier of being there during the war. But my youngest son lost it at a fireworks display in town at the local park. I am sure it was easily spotted by someone detecting the next day, it also was silver. Grrrrrrrrr. The name Oran caught my attention, here is an excerpt from my Dad's WW2 diary. Oran is where his ship from NYC docked to begin his long adventure thru North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France and finally Germany..... NORTH AFRICA 21[SUP]st[/SUP] 10PM Landed at Oran (Algeria), went to Lion Mt – 18[SUP]th[/SUP] Repl. Bn, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Reply Depot, 12 mi. from Oran, 3 from St Cloud JULY 1943 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Boarded train 40 + 8 cars – Oran 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Held up 20 Mi. from Algiers – Ammo train explosion – Reached Algiers
Thank you Don, sorry to hear about the loss :(
Thanks for sharing the diary entries, maybe you dad knew who was the jeweler on the ship :)

OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds like that are some of the best I'd say. They have such a personal meaning and history attached to them. My grandpa made a silver ring out of French coin when he served in WW1. He had it on all the time when he was living. He told me how he made it by beating the edge of the coin with a spoon. After he died that ring never was left to anyone and I can't find it amongst the things my mother has. I'm hoping he was laid to rest with it... That's wonderful find you have!

Thank you Tamrock. Wow taping with a spoon that would take a real long time. Hope that ring turns up :)

OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and good research. I have a friend who beats coins into rings and insists on using a spoon to do it too. Nominated for banner.
Thank you Brother Al, how long does that take with a spoon? Thank for your vote :)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Ring is Amazing!!..Congrats. Its always nice when its marked the way it is.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seener , As a Jeweler myself and a silversmith , I can tell you that the skill level needed to achieve the shank you have pictured , thru
hammering out a coin would be well beyond the scope of "trench art making " GI's - I am confident that the shank is a preformed
piece made by casting - either a simple "cope and drag " sand cast method (low tech ) or a lost wax method .

OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seener , As a Jeweler myself and a silversmith , I can tell you that the skill level needed to achieve the shank you have pictured , thru hammering out a coin would be well beyond the scope of "trench art making " GI's - I am confident that the shank is a preformed piece made by casting - either a simple "cope and drag " sand cast method (low tech ) or a lost wax method .
Argenitium, here are some other examples from ww2. Sure look like home made image-2139998674.jpg image-4040314304.jpg image-2092001977.jpg image-2345965258.jpg image-2262827812.jpg
Especially #1, made from a coin ;)

Attachments

• image-1781426326.jpg
    image-1781426326.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3311383108.jpg
    image-3311383108.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread