Wyoming, Colorado GPA or GPAA or NOT...

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
I've been trying to find out more out about locations of Wyoming.
Wanting to know if any Wyoming Prospectors or GPAA members are on board here that have or are prospecting in the Central Rockies. Dang if I can find any color in Nebraska ??? :'( Stilling planning a road trip the end of May to help my sister move from Meeteetse, WY back to Omaha NE. I am planning on a couple extra days so I can do some "prospecting",

The GPAA claims around Atlantic City are well publicized, I see from the BLM mapping site there are several vacated claims in that area and wondering if any GPAA or WPA member has touched any of these other areas and if so had they gotten any color?

and Any of the Cody, Powell Greybull area, if they gotten any color around Kirwin?

Gold... Gold .... GOLD!!!

What size can I expect to find? pickers, fine, or flour?

Attachments

• goldtube2.jpg
    goldtube2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 658
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Partialde,

I've got a bunch of info on the South pass area, the Wy Geological Survey site is full of information on lode areas, but very little info on small miner placers.. My sis lives in Meeteetse which is about 20 miles as the crow flies from Kirwin.. Kirwin like SP and Atlantic City was a hot spot around the turn of the century and withered up.. Kirwin is in NF land so the regs are a bit different open access no claims can be staked. No power equipment, can use gravity sluice or pan. from the WYGS site there is still a LOT of gold in the ground, the paleoplacers are at a depth that make it difficult for the surface guy like me to make it more then a hobby. Oh, well.

There are some open claims in the area.. I am half way tempted to scour the area once I get there and do some testing, find a decent claim, mark it and record it in the County office. That area is still BLM, lot of open unpatented claims lode and placer from what I can tell from the BLM mapping site. For $125.00/yr for maintenance fee a guy can go to far wrong.

If your out that way toward the last week of May we might cross paths eh?

I would like to make that my vacation place away from momma and the kids at least once a year!! it'd be nice to find a claim with a decent little trout stream running through it!! ;) :D Maybe do some antelope hunting in the fall too. I love Wyoming, I'd be there in a heartbeat if I wasn't married and had kids in school, But alas I am stuck in the flatlands working my tail off for the man to make a mortgage payment and keeping momma happy. :-[

Check out these links if you are interested:

http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/metals/sp_placers.aspx

http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/metals/IP-9.pdf

http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/metals/IP-11.pdf

There are several surface maps on the WYGS site that displays bedrock and overburden locations, also you may want to pick up the Roadside guide to Wyoming Geology for about $10.00.. It is really a good reference.

There are several GPAA Claims around the area, If you are a member check your claim guide,

You can also check the BLM mapping server,
http://www.geocommunicator.gov/NILS-PARCEL/

Private email if you want some more info, I have tonnes on Wyoming and getting more on Colorado (albeit, overcrowded), looks like the cache de la poudre' (west of Ft Collins) is a location that is out of the reach of the denver crowd.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Do you subscribe to Prospecting and Mining Journal? Last few issues have articles about gold, diamonds and such in WY area between Colorado and WY bordor. Let me know if you want the exact issues and I will find let you know.

OP
OP
N

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
49er,

Hausel has several great papers on the website, including the information on the Kimberlite columns between Ft Collins and Cheyenne, he also mentions some Kimberlite a bit further west. Of the GS sites I seen the Wyoming one is pretty comprehensive.
http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/metals/IP-12new.pdf-- Diamonds in Wyoming

I've heard the IPMJ is a great journal and the price isn't too bad.. I get the GPAA Gold Prospector, it is really folksee..

I've gotten the claim guide, there are several areas around Douglas, one has no sluicing until July because of trout spawn.

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your going to pan in Colorado the g.p.a.a. publications aren't actually that great. Old issues of Eastern and Western Treasure are very useful. I don't know how old that magazine was but it seems like I was reading it when I was a kid. If your Just visiting Get a copy of Gold occurances of Colorado It'll give you Everything you know to get started. It shows all the placers as a lot of colorado gold is refractory and bound up in pyrite which makes it a waste of time for the recreational prospector. You can find flour Gold all over Colorado. I never mess with that flour stuff, but there is a lot of it.

Wild Boulder

OP
OP
N

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Wild Bill,

Good luck when you are out.. From what I've seen there are several GPAA claims up on the Poudre near Columbine. I'd been inclined to think they'd be less trafficked then those down around Idaho Springs, Cripple Creek, Central City and on the Arkansas.
The Colorado GPA group seem to be focused on the Arkansas claims.. I'd go north.. If you are in Boulder the Poudre would be closer then the Arkansas. Central City is the closets but mostly roadside stands selling salted paydirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread