gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent discussions in the Season 11 thread have raised the question of whether or not there might be any evidence of a deposit of some form having taken place on Oak Island and raising the observation that itā€™s unlikely that such will be found unless itā€™s looked for.

It was further observed that there could be evidence that has been missed, potentially due to preconceptions and misconceptions about the past and the nature of ā€˜evidenceā€™, though I do sense that thereā€™s considerable doubt here that such could have happened.

The discussion has been bound up in the vexed question of sources. Itā€™s generally recognised that there are two classes of source: primary sources, essentially created at the time the events took place, and secondary sources such as reports and analysis of the primary sources conducted afterwards. Itā€™s also widely appreciated that primary sources can be misleading due to personal bias and agendas, which is where the assessorā€™s preconceptions might enter into the mix.

Another problem of historical analysis is what some term ā€˜presentismā€™, failing to assess evidence drawn from sources in the context of the period in which the events took place, that is, making judgements based on present day values and present day thinking.

The study and reporting of history inevitably reflects an element of subjectivity, but the expectation is that the reporter or observer should be as objective as possible. Did a lack of objectivity occur in the past and is it happening now? The truth is that we know very little about the assumed activity on the island, but the fact is that many people are declaring that they do, and, in many cases negating components of the mystery, completely dismiss the sources that would potentially provide either evidence relating to the mystery or pointers to it.

In the records of the Oak Island saga there are hints as to the possible existence of original sources, but those who assessed them at the time they emerged summarily dismissed them, and their judgements prevail. But were the original assessments correct, and is it not valid to go back and assess them again? Surely so, but there will be no incentive to do so should people insist that thereā€™s no evidence to be found.

So, maybe we should be taking a fresh look at the sources and the evidence drawn from them and be doing so through the eyes of the past. That will not be easy, and would require an element of study, but this would be preferable to making pronouncements concerning the past without at least trying to understand it or what remains of it for us to study.

The fact that no primary source evidence of an Oak Island deposit has been presented doesnā€™t necessarily mean that none exists. The pointers to such sources may have been missed or discarded for the wrong reasons, and this wonā€™t be known unless we look for them and attempt to research them if found - also that we do the job as thoroughly and as objectively as possible.

So, as the Oak Island quest seems to be getting nowhere then maybe something has been missed. My reassessment of the mystery was undertaken on this basis, but I could very well have taken a wrong turn or missed something myself. In any event, declaring that there's no evidence to be found is the kiss of death for research!

TruthbeTold

Aug 16, 2023
Based on the above logic it can be said that most any island in the world that humans visited could have had a vast treasure deposit made and unless someone proves it did not occur then treasure must have been deposited there.

OP
OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the above logic it can be said that most any island in the world that humans visited could have had a vast treasure deposit made and unless someone proves it did not occur then treasure must have been deposited there.
This would appear to be a somewhat fatuous reply to a serious suggestion, and I assume that you're not really serious. You appear from your comments not to want to see the Oak Island mystery researched, and you're potentially declaring that you know all the answers without doing any investigation.

In any event, nobody is asking or expecting you to do it!

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not to want to see the Oak Island mystery researched, and you're potentially declaring that you know all the answers without doing any investigation.
lol.. How much research can be done before one needs to accept that no treasure exists.

It likely will never be known if some treasure was recovered from the money pit by the first finders as reported by their descendants and illustrated with the gold cross.

However it has been "proven beyond reasonable doubt" that no massive treasure hoard was ever buried hundreds of feet below the surface in the money pity area of OI. The natural water filled cavities that exist on OI in this location would have made this an impossible endeavour.

All the findings/discoveries made on OI can be easily explained by a combination of hundreds of years of human visitation/habitation and J.Steele's well documented theory of OI being a naval stores enterprise at some point in the past.

For any one who wants to see an actual plausible theory put forward to what happened on OI I suggest her book.

www.amazon.com/Oak-Island-Mystery-Solved-Chapter/dp/1771087919

Last edited:

TruthbeTold

Aug 16, 2023
lol.. How much research can be done before one needs to accept that no treasure exists.

It likely will never be known if some treasure was recovered from the money pit by the first finders as reported by their descendants and illustrated with the gold cross.

However it has been "proven beyond reasonable doubt" that no massive treasure hoard was ever buried hundreds of feet below the surface in the money pity area of OI. The natural water filled cavities that exist on OI in this location would have made this an impossible endeavour.

All the findings/discoveries made on OI can be easily explained by a combination of hundreds of years of human visitation/habitation and J.Steele's well documented theory of OI being a naval stores enterprise at some point in the past.

For any one who wants to see an actual plausible theory put forward to what happened on OI I suggest her book.

www.amazon.com/Oak-Island-Mystery-Solved-Chapter/dp/1771087919
Amen Brother!

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Granted there might have never been a treasure buried 100' deep but I think the Lagina's have proven that it's possible to have dug 100+ feet deep before hitting water. Would be eaiser if your the first people digging in the area. So in theory someone could have buried "something" in the MP area. The more it got dug up the easier it was for the next dig to get flooded out.. Especially once the original spot got lost and everyone was just digging anywhere near the area they thought it was at... Not sure how deep they were but there are pics of man made tunnels under ground big enough for you to stand upright in...

TruthbeTold

Aug 16, 2023
All of the tunnels were made by previous folks digging for what they thought was a treasure.

No original tunnels have ever been found and documented on the island.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your correct. Just saying that it is possibly to dig deep without getting flooded. Just because it's an island doesn't mean your going to hit water at 50, 80, 100 feet. It's not floating..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread