X-terra 705

TnTyrant

Jan 13, 2014
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am thinking about getting an xterra 705 I have never used one but have used just about everything else. I am leaning toward an mxt but for some reason want to try a xterra. I live in Tennessee and will be hunting both relics and coin jewelry I would also like to take it to the beach on vacation. If I choose the xterra should I get the regular 705 or gold pack? And is there a go to coil I should get? Lots of questions any help will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, where abouts in TN? LOL
I'm a new X-Terra 705 owner and love it so far. But I keep hearing so many talk about the AT Pro that it has my curiosity. And I see you list one. If we were close enough, maybe we could help each other out.
:)

SAFE & Happy Detecting!!!!
Dave
8-)

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 705 i love it... got the 6in coinshooter coil on it...love it

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the Gold Pack, if for no other reason than that if you decide you don't want an 18.75kHz coil you can sell it for more than the 9" 7.5kHz concentric that it would otherwise come with. And for a beach hunter it would be the coil you'd want anyway.

As far as a "go to" coil goes, either the Minelab 10.5" 7.5kHz DD (just a great coil and very accurate) or the Coiltek 6" 3kHz DD "Digger" (for coin shooting in heavy trash) would be good to have.

Lots of questions? Ask away...that's what we're here for.

OP
OP
T

TnTyrant

Jan 13, 2014
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok thanks one more question if I buy the gold pack what would be the first coil to add for coin hunting and one for relic hunting. And how good is the gold pack coil for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since soil conditions among other things play a big part of coil selection, the best way to answer without playing twenty questions is to point you in the direction of Randy Horton's four part blog article.

Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 1
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 2
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 3
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 3 | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 4
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 4 | Treasure Talk

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the Gold Pack, if for no other reason than that if you decide you don't want an 18.75kHz coil you can sell it for more than the 9" 7.5kHz concentric that it would otherwise come with. And for a beach hunter it would be the coil you'd want anyway.

As far as a "go to" coil goes, either the Minelab 10.5" 7.5kHz DD (just a great coil and very accurate) or the Coiltek 6" 3kHz DD "Digger" (for coin shooting in heavy trash) would be good to have.

Lots of questions? Ask away...that's what we're here for.

TnTyrant,

Longhair gives excellent advise, especially in the discussion of Minelab X-Terras. :thumbsup: I totally agree with all of his suggestions... But will also add that the X-Terra Dual Pack is something to consider. With it you get both the "standard" 7.5 kHz 9" concentric and the gold pack's 18.75 kHz elliptical coil, at a bit of a discount as compared to buying them separately. Add the two other coils he has mentioned and you'd be in great shape to hunt a LOT of situations.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give Keith (Ft Bedford) a call. He's got a good handle on what's out there, and what will suit your intended uses.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second Long hair, he is the Man to go to for all your xterra questions, & I second his choice to call Keith @ fortbedford detectors, I have gotten stuff from Keith & he does honestly go above & beyond what a normal vendor would do for u, Very knowledgeable aswell cuz he uses what he sells
I also second gettin the gold pack model with or when you can the dd 10.5" coil as longhair said

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having at least 1 coil in each of the 3 frequencies would take full advantage of the 707s' capabilities. I have 4 now and use all of them.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any feedback on this is much appreciated. Currently have a 705 with a 7.5 kHz 9" concentric. Most impressed with performance and certianly pleased with the ROI.

Basically hunt soft sand w/target depths rarely beyond 10". The existing coil spot on hits gold / silver / coins. Considering a Coiltek 15" all terrain 7.5 kHz medium frequency Double-D coil.

With the scoop pinpointing is less concern. Ultimately would like to cover more ground in less time with a broader search pattern.

That said, does anyone currently have this coil with the 705 and if so noticed any drastic change in performance / finds at the beach.

Thank you
I like the 15" 18.75kHz coil for beach hunting, due to that frequency's response from gold & platinum in particular. Copper, silver, and brass are easily found with that frequency as well, but you'll need some time on it to learn the nuances of the tone qualities to disearn the difference between a quarter and a bottle cap.
That said, a big coil like that will not pick up on fine gold chains, earring backs, or other tiny gold. For those sorts of items you'll need a smaller coil.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you register on the Minelab website you can get the ebook called "Understanding Your Xterra" for free. It is a good book and it has some useful information on the coils for the X-terra series.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you register on the Minelab website you can get the ebook called "Understanding Your Xterra" for free. It is a good book and it has some useful information on the coils for the X-terra series.

Or- PM me you email address and I will send you a copy. 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread