πŸ₯‡ BANNER XIII French Briquette Sword (Napoleonic Era)

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
XIII French Briquet Sword (Napoleonic Era)

Dug this amazing relic Saturday. It's my understanding that the South traded cotton for these so they were commonly carried by confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Other CW relics have surfaced in the general area so its not out of the realm of possibilities that this very sword was carried by a rebel soldier. I also dug a piece that fits and is likely a piece of the knuckle guard. I will be returning to try to find more pieces as they would have the markings to get a definitive date.
Here's a short video-

Here are pictures of the sword handle after dug and then cleaned.
IMG_2758.JPG IMG_2778.JPG

This is an un dug example-
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 76

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Shane that's an incredible special relic find! I'm voting BANNER. That's the kind of thing we just rarely see posted. Perfect for the top. Congrats buddy
Thank you very much. It is certainly a rare piece to find. Best wishes!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's fit for a key spot in a museum right there! Congrats, hope you find more of it! :treasurechest::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that would look very nice up top.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats great. I would think that that calvary sabre would be much easier off a horse than the typical ames wrist breaker. Very nice relic it will display well. I do not know how many old whiskey barrel bands I have dug hopeing it to be a sword! :occasion14:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bump. Cmon guys, this should be up top.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG WHAT A NICE FIND ...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shane that's an incredible special relic find! I'm voting BANNER. That's the kind of thing we just rarely see posted. Perfect for the top. Congrats buddy

i agree. I'm voting banner as well. Would look great up top!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your sword handle find and on achieving your first BANNER! :occasion14:

Dave

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Epic save - congratulations!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Way to go . Awesome find and congrats on making banner.

wpsgta1000

Jul 17, 2013
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0171.JPG I have an almost identical sword with sheath that was bought at a junk shop back in the early 1960's. it's marked "Artilleria F Naci nail Toledo". There are two small letters or numbers next to the F that I can't read, also a letter is between the I and n that's too lightly struck to read.
I tried to post pictures but couldn't figure out how. Any help?

Last edited:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stellar find Shane! Sword relics are really cool but they just don't turn up very often. That one-piece grip you posted is a beauty. Several years back I found a grip to a model 1767 Grenadier Briquet that turned up here in Maryland.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...renadiers-sword-grip-american-revolution.html

Its terrific that the pommel appears intact on your grip and that you also found a piece of the guard. Hopefully more pieces will turn up nearby. It sure makes me wonder how your sword ended up where it was, and what life it lived. With my sword grip I concluded that after its service in the American Revolution, the sword was taken back home by a veteran and used for many years around the farm. It was eventually relegated to the trash pit and that's where I found it. I figure the pommel (found nearby) had broken off under the weight of something heavy, perhaps a horse, after the sword was trashed.

P1010539.jpg P1010544.JPG

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you everybody who took the time to look and comment and especially vote it to banner! I'm really excited to have my first banner find. I am very fortunate to have the places to hunt that I do, to find the things that I do. Happy hunting! Best of luck, Shanegalang- The Cane Field Bandits

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1369257 I have an almost identical sword with sheath that was bought at a junk shop back in the early 1960's. it's marked "Artilleria F Naci nail Toledo". There are two small letters or numbers next to the F that I can't read, also a letter is between the I and n that's too lightly struck to read.
I tried to post pictures but couldn't figure out how. Any help?
How many ribs are there on the grip?

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Stellar find Shane! Sword relics are really cool but they just don't turn up very often. That one-piece grip you posted is a beauty. Several years back I found a grip to a model 1767 Grenadier Briquet that turned up here in Maryland.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...renadiers-sword-grip-american-revolution.html

Its terrific that the pommel appears intact on your grip and that you also found a piece of the guard. Hopefully more pieces will turn up nearby. It sure makes me wonder how your sword ended up where it was, and what life it lived. With my sword grip I concluded that after its service in the American Revolution, the sword was taken back home by a veteran and used for many years around the farm. It was eventually relegated to the trash pit and that's where I found it. I figure the pommel (found nearby) had broken off under the weight of something heavy, perhaps a horse, after the sword was trashed.

View attachment 1369250 View attachment 1369252

It's my understanding that here in the south they traded the French cotton for these swords. There is evidence of CW activity in the area it was found so I'm guessing either a confederate soldier had it or a veteran discarded it in a trash pit. I am convinced the other pieces will surface at some point. We are in soy bean, sugar cane rotating crop fields and they plow really deep down here. Subsequent hunts will turn more pieces up, I'm confident. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread