XLT or DFX?

S

sendin

Are you buying used or new?

How much do you mind learning all technical stuff these machines have to offer? The DFX is certainly more capable, but there is quite a bit more to learn to take advantage of its superiority.

I have an XLT that I bought used (10 hours) and it is all the machine I need. Sounds like I do about the same kind of hunting.

The rest depends on your budget and what other items you may need to purchase to hunt well and if those things need to be purchased with the funds you have set aside for detecting. What I mean is if you still need to get a digging tool and a pin-pointer and the DFX would make it harder for you to get those items, you might seriously consider the XLT.

The DFX is a great detector, but it is also quite a committment. I think a lot of people buy those and end up never learning all that can be done with them. After you've done your homework, I think it is okay to go by your gut.

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Full Time RVer based in TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sendin said:
Are you buying used or new?

How much do you mind learning all technical stuff these machines have to offer? The DFX is certainly more capable, but there is quite a bit more to learn to take advantage of its superiority.

I have an XLT that I bought used (10 hours) and it is all the machine I need. Sounds like I do about the same kind of hunting.

The rest depends on your budget and what other items you may need to purchase to hunt well and if those things need to be purchased with the funds you have set aside for detecting. What I mean is if you still need to get a digging tool and a pin-pointer and the DFX would make it harder for you to get those items, you might seriously consider the XLT.

The DFX is a great detector, but it is also quite a committment. I think a lot of people buy those and end up never learning all that can be done with them. After you've done your homework, I think it is okay to go by your gut.

thanks for the info....I am using an ACE 250 now and have a Teknetics Pinpointer and various 'tools'.
I like the ACE 250 but have just got some cash and thought I would upgrade.
I didn't want anything too heavy but something that might be a bit better than the ACE and have a good set of presets as well.

Paul

S

sendin

I think it goes back to how much techno stuff you want to learn. If you have a large capacity for that, then go for the DFX, if not, then get the XLT.

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sendin said:
I think it goes back to how much techno stuff you want to learn. If you have a large capacity for that, then go for the DFX, if not, then get the XLT.

I don't mind the techo stuff as I am a computer tech, but I also want something that works 'out of the box' better than the ACE while I'm learning the tech side of it.
Do you have to ground balance the machine everytime you turn it on?

S

sendin

No - not necessary with either machine. You buying used or new?

If you are into computers - you'll love either one of these. Be sure to get the engineering reports available on White's website and also check out http://66.51.97.78/jb/xlttips.html

Both have preset programs that work pretty good although I am more familiar with the ones on the XLT. I mainly use the coin & jewelry program with just a few tweaks to customize it to my liking.

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sendin said:
No - not necessary with either machine. You buying used or new?

If you are into computers - you'll love either one of these. Be sure to get the engineering reports available on White's website and also check out http://66.51.97.78/jb/xlttips.html

Both have preset programs that work pretty good although I am more familiar with the ones on the XLT. I mainly use the coin & jewelry program with just a few tweaks to customize it to my liking.

I'm looking at buying new, I don't have a dealer close by (80 miles is the closest) so probably off the net.

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
If I remember right you are in Enid correct? We have a dealer here in Ponca City. It has been a while since I have been to Enid but I think it is about an hour trip. Should be 4 lane all the way. I am planning on getting the DFX but probably not until Feb. Last time I looked he had them for around $950. If you are interested I can get you his name and #
Also don't forget to check out the Whites website to get your $200 holiday bucks for buying a DFX.

HH
Mr.T

S

stloutom

I think I'm fairly well a tech-geek type fellow, and I JUST purchased a used DFX yesterday. So please, take this with a grain of salt.

I've never MDd in my life, but after reading over the DFX manual I can tell that I'm going to like the built in complexity. After hunting, unsuccessfully, with the standard coin/jewelery program for about 1/2 an hour today, I remembered reading about the Tone ID, switched it on, and felt immediately more comfortable with the machine. There are scads of tweaks for the machine, and I can just... tell... that fiddling with it is going to be fun and helpful.

Why not download the PDF manuals from the website to see if your appetite is whet by the complexities?

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree with sendin, I have 2 XLT's and I have had so much success with them that I know I do not need the DFX. I know the DFX is a fine machine but I cannot think of a time where anyone with a dfx has out hunted me, ever! With the preset programs you just turn it on and go. I also use the coin and jewelry program, sometimes I may adjust somethings slightly. but all in all it's a great detector. If you want a little more depth you can go with the beach and jewerly mode. I have dug many bb size lead shots at 9 inches! I would go with the XLT and you can use the money you saved for a in-line probe! I found these bullets in just a couple of trips. Good luck. Tsgman

Attachments

• new_122546~1.jpg
    new_122546~1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 648
OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mr.theman said:
If I remember right you are in Enid correct? We have a dealer here in Ponca City. It has been a while since I have been to Enid but I think it is about an hour trip. Should be 4 lane all the way. I am planning on getting the DFX but probably not until Feb. Last time I looked he had them for around $950. If you are interested I can get you his name and #
Also don't forget to check out the Whites website to get your $200 holiday bucks for buying a DFX.

HH
Mr.T

Yes Enid, that's right, I didn't know there was one in Ponca City :), if you can get me his name etc that would be great.
Why did you decide on the DFX over the XLT?
Also, thanks for the White's info too.

Paul

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tsgman said:
I totally agree with sendin, I have 2 XLT's and I have had so much success with them that I know I do not need the DFX. I know the DFX is a fine machine but I cannot think of a time where anyone with a dfx has out hunted me, ever! With the preset programs you just turn it on and go. I also use the coin and jewelry program, sometimes I may adjust somethings slightly. but all in all it's a great detector. If you want a little more depth you can go with the beach and jewerly mode. I have dug many bb size lead shots at 9 inches! I would go with the XLT and you can use the money you saved for a in-line probe! I found these bullets in just a couple of trips. Good luck. Tsgman

Thanks for the info....can you suggest a good inline probe?

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stloutom said:
I think I'm fairly well a tech-geek type fellow, and I JUST purchased a used DFX yesterday. So please, take this with a grain of salt.

I've never MDd in my life, but after reading over the DFX manual I can tell that I'm going to like the built in complexity. After hunting, unsuccessfully, with the standard coin/jewelery program for about 1/2 an hour today, I remembered reading about the Tone ID, switched it on, and felt immediately more comfortable with the machine. There are scads of tweaks for the machine, and I can just... tell... that fiddling with it is going to be fun and helpful.

Why not download the PDF manuals from the website to see if your appetite is whet by the complexities?

What made you choose the DFX over any other White's?

S

stloutom

I was looking for a metal detector, a feller on Craigslist had one for $600, I talked him down to $500, and bought it. Kinda a no-brainer, really.

I'm not really qualified to speak to the differences and similarities or strengths and weaknesses of the two. All I know is that after a day I'm a very happy DFX owner. Check out www.dfxonly.com if you're looking for more in depth DFX only (...) information.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the SunRay XL. Try this forum http://www.findmall.com/list.php?50 then scroll down to SunRay forums. Good luck! Are you to far away to attend a new relic club starting in Springfield Mo.? We have started a new club called 417 relic hunters. We meet every third thurs. at 7pm. If want directions e-mail me at [email protected]

OP
OP
A

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tsgman said:
I have the SunRay XL. Try this forum http://www.findmall.com/list.php?50 then scroll down to SunRay forums. Good luck! Are you to far away to attend a new relic club starting in Springfield Mo.? We have started a new club called 417 relic hunters. We meet every third thurs. at 7pm. If want directions e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks for the info on the inline probe...and the invite accept that I'm in Oklahoma...a bit far to travel ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions