XLT or DFX

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DFX is dual-freq. XLT can't match that. Doesn't mean the XLT is bad...just not as capable as the DFX.
Jim

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim & Jim Thank you all the years i have been in this and i never knew that the DFX was dual-freq. … keppy …. aka .. Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim & Jim Thank you all the years i have been in this and i never knew that the DFX was dual-freq. … keppy …. aka .. Jim
Actually, Whites named it the DFX for "Dual Frequency XLT". The XLT was the top of the line unit until the DFX came out. XLT is still a very good detector. Main advantage of the dual freq.s is the Correlate Mode...really helps at the beach, and when hunting areas with lots of iron trash.
Jim

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

come on keppy your full of it

hay keppy didn't live in Menominee Michigan did you move

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
come on keppy your full of it hay keppy didn't live in Menominee Michigan did you move
Your funny lift… Is there such a town as Menominee ,Mi…Or did you make it up.. And liftloop do you still think that White's detectors are made by fisher Lab's...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, Whites named it the DFX for "Dual Frequency XLT". The XLT was the top of the line unit until the DFX came out. XLT is still a very good detector. Main advantage of the dual freq.s is the Correlate Mode...really helps at the beach, and when hunting areas with lots of iron trash. Jim
Ok Now i know what the D in DFX stands for...

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keppy
your to funny
but the owner of tenetics did work for white's and there was a law suit against the owner last name is Johnson
breach of contract do a google search you will see back in the 80t's and that jonhson designed alot of detectors for other companies jonhson designed the mxt and white's gold detector gmt so you are kind of right that's is why fisher bounty hunter all uses white's 6.5 khz

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keppy your to funny but the owner of tenetics did work for white's and there was a law suit against the owner last name is Johnson breach of contract do a google search you will see back in the 80t's and that jonhson designed alot of detectors for other companies jonhson designed the mxt and white's gold detector gmt so you are kind of right that's is why fisher bounty hunter all uses white's 6.5 khz

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX is an awesome machine---you would love it----not saying anything bad about the xlt

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes the XLT is 8 Khz, the DFX is 3 and 15 Khz. The 3 Khz "see's" silver better and the 15 Khz "see's" the gold better. The electronics in the DFX are the same as the Beach Hunter 300 only waterproof.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes the XLT is 8 Khz, the DFX is 3 and 15 Khz. The 3 Khz "see's" silver better and the 15 Khz "see's" the gold better. The electronics in the DFX are the same as the Beach Hunter 300 only waterproof.
Yes i would like that better,,

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually, the XLT is 6.5khz, but can be adjusted (to eliminate interference from other machines nearby) from 5.9-7 as I understand it. Also the DFX isn't waterproof. I think LandlordJim meant the Beach Hunter was.
Jim

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i knew that the Beach Hunter was water proof and i also knew that the XLT & DFX was not water proof..

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The DFX being a multi freq. do you have to go slow with it like minelabs multi freq's or can you hunt normal speed with it ? like the XLT..

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The DFX has duel freq as stated which means its a killer in trash and likes gold better than the xlt. and sees coins and gold items better in trashy areas,just a thought. The different in price is different but I would choose a DFX over an XLT any day. rwd mo

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, XLT is pretty smooth, got a lot of time on it, found some nice stuff! Just got a DFX, haven't had it out much(weather sux) excited to learn it! I hope I can find some deeper silver with it!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread