xlt sprectrum ?

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
I have been using my spectrum xlt for a couple years now and go out quite often, Parks, and Beach, I have found a ton of coin and jewelry and a few I could call treasures. I mostly use the programs on the unit. I have tried several adjustments however I am yet to find anything deeper then a few inches and or gold rings or any gold. The one beach I hunt I have found all types of silver nothing deeper then 3 inches. I know there is gold here. I run into a guy one day who had lost his gold band wedding he had bought a cheap model and he had a general area where he lost it the day before but I will be darned if we could find it. My question would be ? Why I have a standard 9 inch coil , would I be better off going with different coil? different MD or dose some one have a program setup? I buried a dime at 4 inches and I will be darned if any of the programs would pick it up. In fact for me to relocate it I had to remove about 2 inches of cover. I am thinking a MXT what is your thoughts

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
first you have to realize that gold rings up as junk or foil. as far as going deeper, read the manual and check with others in your area about what settings they use.
good luck and let us know what happens

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You own an excellent machine it should be doing better.
I would call Whites and talk with one of their tec heads, your machine may need tuned up.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
I read and i never uderstand . I have a priz IV previosly I owned A priz II .Why are people with twice the detectors getting half the depth that I am getting . I guess i will never understand . The only thing I was told when I first got into this hobby was for the first 1000 hrs of use you must dig everything .That my friends is why I am a successful detectorist those of you that do not .well you are going to be frustrated in my opion . however you may have a bad factory set . IN 8yrs I have found 60rings most with the II . About 60 silver coins at all depths 10 gold jewery a flying eagle 1858 1845 large cent buffs mercs rosies barbers . and yet I read there are guys that sell there pisms because they can not find silver or gold . I took that advise and spent many an hour in the field learning and I still learn . Until someone invents a detector that has 2 spots that one says gold and the other silver . You need to dig it all until you have spent 1000 hrs learning your machine best advise i was given best I can give you . Otherwise there is always fishing

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
underdogger said:
I read and i never uderstand . I have a priz IV previosly I owned A priz II .Why are people with twice the detectors getting half the depth that I am getting . I guess i will never understand . The only thing I was told when I first got into this hobby was for the first 1000 hrs of use you must dig everything .That my friends is why I am a successful detectorist those of you that do not .well you are going to be frustrated in my opion . however you may have a bad factory set . IN 8yrs I have found 60rings most with the II . About 60 silver coins at all depths 10 gold jewery a flying eagle 1858 1845 large cent buffs mercs rosies barbers . and yet I read there are guys that sell there pisms because they can not find silver or gold . I took that advise and spent many an hour in the field learning and I still learn . Until someone invents a detector that has 2 spots that one says gold and the other silver . You need to dig it all until you have spent 1000 hrs learning your machine best advise i was given best I can give you . Otherwise there is always fishing

Maybe you don't have the competition others have is why you find so many good keepers.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the settings on the XLT but I'm thinking you have something set up wrong, you should be getting way more depth on that machine. You should probably go to the white's forum in the XLT section and ask someone about the setting's that will effect the depth. With that being said the MXT is an awesome detector for sure I've found some really good finds and it has knobs so its not programmable, so it hard to change something to really badly affect the depth. The XLT is a nice detector as well so if its a change that was made somewhere in the program then sending it to white's won't help you out go to the forum and ask first.

OP
OP
Rutnbuck

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
Thanks Guys for all the imput. I am taking it all into consideration. I have went into the dig all mode. Where I dig like a goffer. The MD is pretty much right on as far as how I am reading it. After the commets I am thinking maybe factory settings might be wrong. I will check them with the mannual.
keep the commets comming Thanks

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
19Blockhead64 said:
I have competition the erie camal is just steps away from me the point is the deep silver might not come up deep silver. by digging the iffy hits that flash to other areas that could be a deep coin .
underdogger said:

Maybe you don't have the competition others have is why you find so many good keepers.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an excellent and deep machine but the in built programmes are pretty poor as they are intended to work almost anywhere in the world so are not optimised.

You really need to use the Relic mode and then adjust the discrimination into the minus figures and also increase AC sensitivity and Pre Amp as high as you can get away with on your ground.

I would also try and borrow another coil as they don't last forever. If its drifted off tune over time then no amount of adjustment to the programmes will do much good.

One other thought. If you have listened to all the "Pro's" suggesting you sweep "low and slow" forget the slow part as you have a four filter machine that needs speed for depth and correct I.D.

OP
OP
Rutnbuck

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
Doc Holliday said:
Rutnbuck,
I have custom programs that I have used for 16yrs in western Colorado for the XLT. Your ground is not a whole lot different than mine. I'll forward a couple of favorites to you. Unless something is wrong w/ your unit, you should be able to get deeper.
I am looking forward to your programs I would love to try them thanks

OP
OP
Rutnbuck

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
U.K. Brian said:
Its an excellent and deep machine but the in built programmes are pretty poor as they are intended to work almost anywhere in the world so are not optimised.

You really need to use the Relic mode and then adjust the discrimination into the minus figures and also increase AC sensitivity and Pre Amp as high as you can get away with on your ground.

I would also try and borrow another coil as they don't last forever. If its drifted off tune over time then no amount of adjustment to the programmes will do much good.

One other thought. If you have listened to all the "Pro's" suggesting you sweep "low and slow" forget the slow part as you have a four filter machine that needs speed for depth and correct I.D.
Thanks Uk that sounds like something I need to try I was going to give it a shot tonight but never got out

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rutnbuck,
There are TONS of custom programs for the XLT AND you should be able to reach 10" deep targets. On the internet check out "Terrys Preamp 15". Also on the net look up "Coinist's XLT Tips". Go to the Whites forum and look under XLT and DFox has some programs as well, he's a regular member of the whites forum. "AND you should consider sending your unit into Whites for a tuneup. Most of the cost is in shipping and they go through it and if it applies they will do simple updates, on mine they added a ground wire that was not part of the original design. Contact them by email to get a quote or an RMA # (return material authorization) but as you are only getting shallow targets I believe something is not right. What coil are you using, the stock 950?? The coils are specific to the machine frequency so if you are using a coil that is not a 6.59KHz coil it will not work properly.

I've just gotten my XLT Spect. out of mothball storage getting prepared for winter hunts here in California, I've had it for quite a few years and bought it new with three coils 950, 650 & 350 elliptical and I'm considering the purchase of the 4x6 DD 6.59KHz coil for trashy areas. I've always had good depth right from the start. I will install "Terrys Preamp 15" program to it this year for depth as well as one from Dfox and I've just found a hunting partner about my age who's just purchased an MXT Pro and I'm looking forward to the four of us meeting for the first time.

Good Luck with your machine as it is a good one, the 1000 hour/dig everything rule is a good one!

Regards, 63bkpkr

PS - Picture of me in the mountains with the GMT and my insurance policy under my left arm back in August of 03, I've lost 15 lbs since then so I'm not quite so round faced. sorry about the large size, picture that is! Note: Apple tree off to my left side was planted by miners a few years ago. Used to be a cabin there as well till the forest service destroyed it. I've found some gold in this area and nuggets this year and I'm looking forward to returning to the mountains for more prospecting in 2011.

Attachments

• Camera Dump 8 26 03 176.jpg
    Camera Dump 8 26 03 176.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 301
OP
OP
Rutnbuck

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
Hey thanks I printed the info and am going to give it a try. Reset my xlt first and go from there
Nice Pic I should be there with you LOL
I also got your pm you sent me thanks
Go Well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread