XP Deus...2 week observations...

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
Hello to all! Yes, I know...get at least 200 hours into a new machine before you pass judgement. I've got a little over 60 hours, and simply wanted to share some observations.
Loving the weight, balance & feel of the Deus!
Amazing depth and trash-separation, however hoping to be able to weed-out some of the iron & bottle caps that I keep digging without losing too much depth via discrimination.
What is a decent discrimination level without losing much depth?
I'm primarily after old US Coins. I usually hunt older schools, home sites, and lots/fields. (very junky/lot's o' iron, bottlecaps & nails)
Using modified "Sifter" program...Thanks to Gary & Calabash...great videos and info!

Here are my settings:
Sensitivity: 93
TRX Power: 3 (should I lower this?)
Frequency: now 7.8 (was 11.8...heard that the 7.8 KHz is better for deeper US coins?)
Iron Vol: 0
Reactivity: 2.5
Silencer: -1
Audio Resp: 3
Audio Overload: 1
Notch: 0
Discrim: 0
FULL TONES

As I mentioned...would absolutely LOVE to get rid of the bottlecaps and large iron if possible, without losing much depth.
I actually ran "Notch" value of 0-30 one day...helped to quiet machine down a bit...but was still digging a LOT of trash! lol HELP! :BangHead:

* One more important observation...just sold my DFX yesterday, but before the guy came to pick it up, I spent the day with the DFX (9.5" stock coil) at a couple of sites that I had hit pretty hard with the XP Deus.
Buried a Silver Rosie Dime @ about 9" and same with a Silver Washington Quarter.
Nice repeatable signal/sound from the DEUS, but not even a peep from the DFX!
I even "tweaked" the DFX with single freq (15 KHz) no discrim at all, and TR power max'd out, etc...not even a whisper!
I'll always have very fond memories of my DFX...but I sure felt a LOT better about the sale of it after I did a "side by side" field comparison!
Last thought...I want to be clear that I'm not "bashing" the other brand...far from it. Again, simply in the field observations.
Thanks for reading & HH to all!

Last edited:

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have an answer as far as discrimination and eliminating bottle caps. I will say that after installing the 4.0 firmware, I feel like I can hear the scratch of the bottle cap better. I think I'm getting more false iron signals though. Like in the 98,99 range. I haven't played with negative discrimination yet. I'm posting this because I think I'm doing better with bottle caps since the update. I noticed that Calabash was looking to roll back to 3.2 and I've been enjoying 4.0 so far. With that said, soils could be different, amongst other factors. Calabash and a few others are amazing with the Deus! Also contrary to many others I usually run mine at the highest freq. The coins just seem to hit so hard.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have an answer as far as discrimination and eliminating bottle caps. I will say that after installing the 4.0 firmware, I feel like I can hear the scratch of the bottle cap better. I think I'm getting more false iron signals though. Like in the 98,99 range. I haven't played with negative discrimination yet. I'm posting this because I think I'm doing better with bottle caps since the update. I noticed that Calabash was looking to roll back to 3.2 and I've been enjoying 4.0 so far. With that said, soils could be different, amongst other factors. Calabash and a few others are amazing with the Deus! Also contrary to many others I usually run mine at the highest freq. The coins just seem to hit so hard.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

What he said about the bottle cap scratch, I knew they were going to be, had to dig them for an experiment to get used to V4, I came across two yesterday and noticed the scratchy sound of the caps compared to the 12 quarters I found in the same area, quarters were a lot smoother sounding. I'm liking V4.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, using a the XY display may also provide additional clues regarding crown caps that otherwise sound pretty good (a quarter will provide a straight diagonal line through the XY display, whereas a crown cap XY indication will break up or show a jagged line or just a bunch of squiggly figures on the display).

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anytime I get a 94-97 ID (with the depth being 3/4 full on the horseshoe or less) I raise the coil while sweeping numerous times over the target. If the target ID continues to drop by 5-10 numbers on the ID, its 100% of the time a bottle cap. If it holds steady and doesn't drop more than 2-3 numbers on the ID, it's a dime/quarter.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepDigs coil rise method or you could also shift frequency up. Typically, rusted bottlecap TID will not rise consistent with the what you would expect from a dime/quarter or may even go down. That is one reason why I do not use ID Norm since you can't use that trick. I keep adjacent programs with the same settings only with Frequency different so I can quickly shift up frequency by just hitting +/-. I use this method to also quickly shift from the Horseshoe to the XY display (while holding frequency constant).

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really feel for you guys that have to hunt amongst rusty bottlecaps. Seems to be the #1 complaint on the Deus and most detectors for that matter. Of the dozens of sites I have detected, only a few had bottlecaps and they will fool you. Sure you can adjust settings, raise the coil, or listen for the iron off the edge of the target. Id rather just dig it to be sure and to get it out of the way. Only reason I would be hunting in a carpet of bottlecaps anyway is if I know the good stuff is hiding in there. Im not talking a few rosies. There would have to be colonial relics, silver or a lot of modern silver in there

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread