What's new

XP DEUS Saves a LIFE on relic hunt!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2014
Messages
3,712
Reaction score
5,634
Golden Thread
5
Location
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Got out in the 100 degree heat over the weekend with Stef and Gheenoe78 for a bit of relic hunting. Little did I know what I would stumble across deep in the woods...

After about 2 hours of swinging, I came across a clearing in the woods. While swinging the detector I got a nice grunt from the XP and to my surprise, a small motionless thing was laying beside the target. I reached down, it let out a whimper and rolled slowly to its side...baby raccoon :laughing7:

20160723_105356.webp

Given the heat, and the fact that moma was no where in sight (especially given they are nocturnal) I decided to call off the hunt and get the little guy (affectionately known as Garrett) to the local keeper of the wild program. I dropped off a cash donation and with that the little guy was on his way to recovery, in the care of the local vet hospital.

20160723_112824.webp

Back to the relics, scouted a few new spots with varied success. With the deep overgrowth in full effect, surface finds are harder to come by. That being said, Stef's research landed us on an old avenue of oaks. Among the relics was a smooth copper coin...perhaps a farthing.

20160725_212002.webp20160725_212018.webp

Also managed a tombac, copper, and killer basket weave pewter button. The basket weave dates from 1770-1790.

20160725_211927.webp20160725_211939.webp

Also a strange lead domed...button perhaps...with a star? ID help appreciated.

20160725_205056.webp20160725_205101.webp

On an old CW site with Gheenoe I managed a few roundballs, carved bullet, and .44 caliber round.

20160725_211814.webp

Among the surface finds was a partial mortar, pottery, and SC dispensary bottle.

20160725_211212.webp20160725_211232.webp20160725_211302.webp

Fresh out of electrolysis also managed a large iron saddle buckle.

20160725_212048.webp

All in all another outstanding weekend and a bit of karma on my side for next weekend! Good luck out there and keep your eyes on the ground

20160725_211744.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 102
That little guy really put a smile on my face thanks for posting. South Carolina dispensary? Are those things not super valuable? You better go dig up the whole area lol
 
That little guy really put a smile on my face thanks for posting. South Carolina dispensary? Are those things not super valuable? You better go dig up the whole area lol

Glad to hear it :laughing7: dug a few SC partials but never a complete bottle... Intact ones are worth a fortune
 
I say...EAT Em
0723e646b93d0de0f5a8689ddf5e3625.webp
 
FullSizeRender_2.webp

Jon a few years ago my sister lived in Hollywood SC this guy got into one of her feeders eventually ending up with his head stuck in that jar. She called Critter Getters and paid some guy to come get him free. I told her how to do it for free but she decided that really wasn't her thing.
 
Well done Jon :thumbsup: That's really awesome that you took that little guy to safety. Nice group of buttons too man. I have the same\similar basket weave pewter too. Its always great when one has a design on it.
 
Congratz on a good hunt! But even more so, great job saving that little critter! :hello2::dog:
 
Very cool finds.....including the baby:)
 
Great job guys. I love animals!!!! My grandfather was a warden and I grew up around baby skunks, raccoons, even a silver fox(which is black). That karma will come back to you 8fold 😉
 
Very nice hunt John. congrats on the finds and the "saves". Looks like you got a good spot out there. those Orb Weavers are everywhere this time of year. I took one to the face a few weekend ago. Stay sharp!
 
I am surprised that anyone took it. The rabies rate is so high in raccoons that they are typically euthanized. Did anyone at the shelter say they would test for rabies? Did they recommend that you get shots?

I am glad you attempted to help an animal in distress. I did something similar with a bat that I found in the water but I never touched it or brought it aboard my boat.

Please call the shelter and determine whether you may be in danger.
 
I am surprised that anyone took it. The rabies rate is so high in raccoons that they are typically euthanized. Did anyone at the shelter say they would test for rabies? Did they recommend that you get shots?

I am glad you attempted to help an animal in distress. I did something similar with a bat that I found in the water but I never touched it or brought it aboard my boat.

Please call the shelter and determine whether you may be in danger.

As long as it didn't bite him he should be OK even if it had rabies.
 
As long as it didn't bite him he should be OK even if it had rabies.

The major risk of rabies comes from contact with the saliva, body fluids, or tissue of infected animals. Animals that can be infected with rabies include all mammals, but in particular:

wild animals--mostly foxes, skunks, bats, and raccoons
livestock--mostly cattle but occasionally horses, sheep, goats, and pigs
pets--mostly cats and dogs, and occasionally ferrets.
 
That was lifted from the web.

If you have an open cut or introduce a rabid animal's saliva through your mucous membranes (eyes, nose, etc...) you are at risk.
 
Well done Jon :thumbsup: That's really awesome that you took that little guy to safety. Nice group of buttons too man. I have the same\similar basket weave pewter too. Its always great when one has a design on it.

Thanks bud, this one is the 3rd basket weave pewter I've recovered...the first 2 from a loyalist camp. No definitive military connection but definitely late 1700s
 
Great job guys. I love animals!!!! My grandfather was a warden and I grew up around baby skunks, raccoons, even a silver fox(which is black). That karma will come back to you 8fold ��

Thanks Abe, hopefully another good weekend in the dirt to follow
 
That was lifted from the web.

If you have an open cut or introduce a rabid animal's saliva through your mucous membranes (eyes, nose, etc...) you are at risk.

Thanks doubters, both the keeper of the wild folks and vet were not concerned...like any mammal raccoons can contract the rabies virus, but despite the “high risk” classification given this species, rabies incidence in adult raccoons is low and in babies rare. A raccoon must be sick with rabies to spread the disease, there is no “carrier” state. During the time it is “incubating” the virus, i.e. the time between exposure to the virus (rabies is almost always contracted via a bite from an infected animal) and onset of symptoms of illness, it is not yet sick itself, and is not infective to others.
 
look up sandcast buttons -- often due to the shortage of buttons replacement confederate uniform buttons were often made of lead --they were made "in the field" using a real button as a mold by pressing it into sand then pouring hot lead into the sand impression and adding a wire loop while the metal was still hot ...

to my knowledge --star type cuff buttons were used by officers from Texas -- Mississippi and on various general staff officer level officers from many different states ... if made of lead it might be a civil war era sandcast uniform replacement button...
which are highly sought after..near the st marys river along the fla / ga border at a place called thompkins landing --there used to be a confederate picket post (on the fla side) during the civil war as it was a low water crossing spot ... close to the river I found several bullets that had been made into fishing weights and a partial button (about 60% of it )--- a sand cast "texas" type coat button it had 3 star points with the letters t ..e..x at the tips of each point ..clearly they were making coat buttons and trying to catch some fresh fish for food while doing "boring" picket duty .. the button partial I found had not been fully filled and so it got left behind ...
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom