What's new

XP DEUS Saves a LIFE on relic hunt!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2014
Messages
3,712
Reaction score
5,634
Golden Thread
5
Location
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Got out in the 100 degree heat over the weekend with Stef and Gheenoe78 for a bit of relic hunting. Little did I know what I would stumble across deep in the woods...

After about 2 hours of swinging, I came across a clearing in the woods. While swinging the detector I got a nice grunt from the XP and to my surprise, a small motionless thing was laying beside the target. I reached down, it let out a whimper and rolled slowly to its side...baby raccoon :laughing7:

20160723_105356.webp

Given the heat, and the fact that moma was no where in sight (especially given they are nocturnal) I decided to call off the hunt and get the little guy (affectionately known as Garrett) to the local keeper of the wild program. I dropped off a cash donation and with that the little guy was on his way to recovery, in the care of the local vet hospital.

20160723_112824.webp

Back to the relics, scouted a few new spots with varied success. With the deep overgrowth in full effect, surface finds are harder to come by. That being said, Stef's research landed us on an old avenue of oaks. Among the relics was a smooth copper coin...perhaps a farthing.

20160725_212002.webp20160725_212018.webp

Also managed a tombac, copper, and killer basket weave pewter button. The basket weave dates from 1770-1790.

20160725_211927.webp20160725_211939.webp

Also a strange lead domed...button perhaps...with a star? ID help appreciated.

20160725_205056.webp20160725_205101.webp

On an old CW site with Gheenoe I managed a few roundballs, carved bullet, and .44 caliber round.

20160725_211814.webp

Among the surface finds was a partial mortar, pottery, and SC dispensary bottle.

20160725_211212.webp20160725_211232.webp20160725_211302.webp

Fresh out of electrolysis also managed a large iron saddle buckle.

20160725_212048.webp

All in all another outstanding weekend and a bit of karma on my side for next weekend! Good luck out there and keep your eyes on the ground

20160725_211744.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 102
Good ol Garrett! Should have posted a pic to show the size of spiders that we kept running into. YIKES. Good save tho with the raccoon! I couldn't believe how small he was. Good variety of finds once again. Couldn't help but notice you didnt post your "Button" Wheat Penny! LOL tricked us good. Iron buckle is looking real nice!

Haha yea Wheaties don't make the cut for my posts lol did manage a IHP though
 
Great save on the little guy, and congrats on your finds also.
 
That's a killer saddle buckle. That'll look great in the display. That copper looks about right for a farthing size - another cool find.

Nice work with the raccoon. He'll hopefully be on his feet soon, knocking over garbage cans;)

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Scrappy, dug 2 other iron buckles that are cooking...sadly no detail remains on the farthing
 
The iron buckle is really nice, as are the other relics. Basket weave pewter was new to me.

As for that little coon, perfect size, tender. All you do is feed them buttermilk to sweeten them up, it also loosens the hide from the meat. Then you roll him in egg wash then flour and deep fry him to a crispy golden brown. best served with a garnish of chutney!

OK, OK, I can hear the hissing all the way up here. I am just kidding, sort of. I am certain karma will pay you back for that act of kindness.

Best of luck to you Jon!
 
Last edited:
Great Saves! The Raccoon and the Relics. My wife really liked the pictures of the baby Raccoon.
 
Great Saves! The Raccoon and the Relics. My wife really liked the pictures of the baby Raccoon.

Thanks Mike, my wife was more interested in the baby coon than any relic I've ever brought home lol
 
:hello2:title threw me off i thought it was meant to be a promo ... saved a helpless little baby raccoon is priceless !! A HM is in order , cool deed ............... :occasion14:
 
Hey VMI. That was truly a good deed. Also some nice finds.

I see you are in the SC lowcountry. I have a place down in Bluffton that I come down to during the winter months. Where are you located? Would be great to get together sometime.
 
Hey VMI. That was truly a good deed. Also some nice finds.

I see you are in the SC lowcountry. I have a place down in Bluffton that I come down to during the winter months. Where are you located? Would be great to get together sometime.

Always up for a group hunt, I'm in Charleston
 
Thanks Scrappy, dug 2 other iron buckles that are cooking...sadly no detail remains on the farthing

I have no farthings with detail either, though I only have dug two. I think I recently heard BillD say the same. Perhaps it's the dirts fault, or maybe it's the copper? Dunno.

You don't suppose it's a 1/2 cent?
 
You've got a good heart with some good Karma coming your way! Super finds all the way around! Well done!!!!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
 
Hi Folks; Sight problem to clear up here ok. I DO Hereby Vote Honorable Mention for VMI. :occasion14: Thing I've noticed is there is no clear, easy way to do so that I see. The only way I can think of is if someone sends the Mods a PM telling them of the Nomination or they happen to see it. I PM'd Jeff in PA and asked him if the Mods could put an Honorable Mention Button beside the Banner Button. That would make life a lot easier. I'm waiting for Jeff's response. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:
 
Nice work, VMI!
 
I have no farthings with detail either, though I only have dug two. I think I recently heard BillD say the same. Perhaps it's the dirts fault, or maybe it's the copper? Dunno.

You don't suppose it's a 1/2 cent?

Diameter isnt quite right for a half cent, the site has produced British, French, and Spanish 18th century coins so could be any variety of those
 
Honorable mention vote from me!!
 
Great finds....just a word of warning, raccoons are one of the most likely animals to carry rabies......I would have let it be.

Nice finds.

Here in Northeast Ohio they air drop poison cubes to reduce the raccoon population. Any raccoon visible in daylight hours has a high likelihood of being a carrier. If I remember correctly each year there is a couple dozen rabies cases traced to the raccoons. I love animals but raccoons can be invasive pests. In my house they climbed the cedar batten board, pulled down the aluminum soffit and got into my attic. They tore up the insulation, urinated and defecated in the inaccessible crawl spaces. About 3000 in damages. Just saying.......the life expectancy of a raccoon that shows its face near me is next to -0- .
 
Nice finds.

Here in Northeast Ohio they air drop poison cubes to reduce the raccoon population. Any raccoon visible in daylight hours has a high likelihood of being a carrier. If I remember correctly each year there is a couple dozen rabies cases traced to the raccoons. I love animals but raccoons can be invasive pests. In my house they climbed the cedar batten board, pulled down the aluminum soffit and got into my attic. They tore up the insulation, urinated and defecated in the inaccessible crawl spaces. About 3000 in damages. Just saying.......the life expectancy of a raccoon that shows its face near me is next to -0- .

Think we've all dealt with the negative aspects of squirrels, possums, raccoons, deer etc and I'm not one to seek out wildlife while detecting. While aware of the risks associated with raccoons, particularly during daylight hours, I took a calculated risk in rescuing him, wearing gloves and consulting the vet...who assured me the odds of a newborn "trash panda" having rabies was slim. That being said to each his own :thumbsup:
 
the smallish star button could be a cuff button from a CW uniform --either from texas or a gen staff officers uniform
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom