What's new

XP Dues 2 HF2 Coil First Impression

robertk

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 16, 2023
Messages
7,089
Reaction score
34,385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I preordered the HF2 coil for the Deus 2 some time ago, the day it was available for preorder. Today the long wait came to an end when the coil showed up at my door. I had already updated my Deus 2 to version 3 of the operating system earlier today. So all I had to do was put it together and plug and play.

Putting it together was fairly simple, though the pictorial instructions weren't immediately obvious (click to enlarge).

IMG_2859.webp

It came with the coil cover already installed, but the lower shaft had to be attached, and it requires some special handling. Unlike the previous coils, this one has an external battery, and the battery is actually in the top end of the lower shaft. So after you attach the lower shaft to the coil, you have to pull the battery out, snake the battery cable up through the shaft, attach the cable to the battery and reinstall it into the shaft. It's a snug fit, and the wire is just long enough, with a little stretchiness. But it works, and once assembled, the wire basically disappears. Then it's just a matter of swapping lower shafts and pairing the coil.

Here's how it looks compared to my (dirty) 11" coil (click to enlarge). It looks rather tiny, but it's really almost the same size in the long dimension so it covers a decent amount of ground, just cutting a narrower slice.

IMG_2858.webp

I have not explored the different frequency settings or any of that yet. I just put it in and turned it on. I ran the "general" program and took it out to a part of the yard that I've hunted several times, just to see if it made any difference. I only hunted for about an hour because it started to rain. I wish I could tell you I found some rare coin or something, but that kind of drama is unlikely in the iron patch. But I did find some things I hadn't found before, including a piece of a decorative hinge, a couple of harrow spikes, half of a brass .32 caliber shell, and a couple of ridiculously small pieces of copper wire. The pieces of wire were so small I almost couldn't find them at all, even with the pinpointer. They were both about six inches deep. I don't think depth is going to be an issue with this coil if it can see a piece of wire half the size of a pin at that depth.

But the biggest surprise was how quiet it is. When I first turned it on, I didn't think it was working. There was no chatter. No EMI noise. There's a buried AC power line that runs through part of the property, and my 11" coil is very noisy when I get close to it. This coil not only isn't noisy, It is silent. I can walk back and forth over the power line and it doesn't make a peep unless the coil is over metal. That was a nice unexpected bonus!

And speaking of bonuses, Serious Detecting even included a free hat.

IMG_2860.webp
 
Unlike the previous coils, this one has an external battery, and the battery is actually in the top end of the lower shaft.
This is actually the same as the DEUS I Elliptical coil... I now have both..
 
Absolutely love my HF2 coil. It hits gold hard. I've found some missed relics where I ran the D2 and equinox but not coins. Watch winder and a small pencil eraser sized gear. These were in heavy iron.
 
How can you tell when the Deus 2 Hi Freq is fully CHARGED ?
 
ANYONE know how to tell ?
 
How can you tell when the Deus 2 Hi Freq is fully CHARGED ?
I have only charged mine once (I don’t get out much lately), but I seem to recall that the light on the battery (at the top of the shaft where the clip attaches, not the one on the coil) changes when it’s full. I don’t remember exactly how it changes though. But I’d say just put it on the charger overnight and it’ll be ready by morning.
 
I have only charged mine once (I don’t get out much lately), but I seem to recall that the light on the battery (at the top of the shaft where the clip attaches, not the one on the coil) changes when it’s full. I don’t remember exactly how it changes though. But I’d say just put it on the charger overnight and it’ll be ready by morning.
Thanks robert . I used to leave mine charging over night. But since I had a lithum battery explode and catch my carpeting on fire I no longer leave them for a long charging
 
Coil LED flashing and meanings
• Coil on charge: Constant LED• Coil fully charged: LED 4 seconds ON then 4 seconds OFF (cycle) (For the HF2, LED OFF).• Switching on: Rapid flashes followed by three to 1 long flashes depending on battery level*.• In operation: One flash per second• On stand-by: one flash every four seconds• On deep stand-by seriously discharged: one flash every thirty seconds• Switching off: three to one long flashes depending on battery level*• When switching on the MI-6 pinpointer: the coil LED flashes rapidly.

 
I have only charged mine once (I don’t get out much lately), but I seem to recall that the light on the battery (at the top of the shaft where the clip attaches, not the one on the coil) changes when it’s full. I don’t remember exactly how it changes though. But I’d say just put it on the charger overnight and it’ll be ready by morning.
Coil light on charge cable will flash when charged. There is light on coil. It won’t show charge status unlike FMF coils.
 
Thanks robert . I used to leave mine charging over night. But since I had a lithum battery explode and catch my carpeting on fire I no longer leave them for a long charging
That's totally understandable. Though I would certainly hope they have an overcharge prevention circuit in there, considering what they cost.
 
Coil LED flashing and meanings
• Coil on charge: Constant LED• Coil fully charged: LED 4 seconds ON then 4 seconds OFF (cycle) (For the HF2, LED OFF).• Switching on: Rapid flashes followed by three to 1 long flashes depending on battery level*.• In operation: One flash per second• On stand-by: one flash every four seconds• On deep stand-by seriously discharged: one flash every thirty seconds• Switching off: three to one long flashes depending on battery level*• When switching on the MI-6 pinpointer: the coil LED flashes rapidly.

All my other many XP Coils when fully charged they are on for 4 seconds then off for 4 seconds. But on this High Frequency coil I do not think it works this way. After hours and hours of charging I think it just turns the light off on the tip of the shaft
 
That's totally understandable. Though I would certainly hope they have an overcharge prevention circuit in there, considering what they cost.
Robert I would hope so also. But till i find out for sure I am taking no chances . Thanks for your reply
 
Someone else now has told me when it is charging the light is on solid. When fully charged it goes off and stays off. It would be nice for Deus to post on this
 
How can you tell when the Deus 2 Hi Freq is fully CHARGED ?
Don’t ask any of us we don’t even have one to look at
 
I preordered the HF2 coil for the Deus 2 some time ago, the day it was available for preorder. Today the long wait came to an end when the coil showed up at my door. I had already updated my Deus 2 to version 3 of the operating system earlier today. So all I had to do was put it together and plug and play.

Putting it together was fairly simple, though the pictorial instructions weren't immediately obvious (click to enlarge).

View attachment 2212427

It came with the coil cover already installed, but the lower shaft had to be attached, and it requires some special handling. Unlike the previous coils, this one has an external battery, and the battery is actually in the top end of the lower shaft. So after you attach the lower shaft to the coil, you have to pull the battery out, snake the battery cable up through the shaft, attach the cable to the battery and reinstall it into the shaft. It's a snug fit, and the wire is just long enough, with a little stretchiness. But it works, and once assembled, the wire basically disappears. Then it's just a matter of swapping lower shafts and pairing the coil.

Here's how it looks compared to my (dirty) 11" coil (click to enlarge). It looks rather tiny, but it's really almost the same size in the long dimension so it covers a decent amount of ground, just cutting a narrower slice.

View attachment 2212429

I have not explored the different frequency settings or any of that yet. I just put it in and turned it on. I ran the "general" program and took it out to a part of the yard that I've hunted several times, just to see if it made any difference. I only hunted for about an hour because it started to rain. I wish I could tell you I found some rare coin or something, but that kind of drama is unlikely in the iron patch. But I did find some things I hadn't found before, including a piece of a decorative hinge, a couple of harrow spikes, half of a brass .32 caliber shell, and a couple of ridiculously small pieces of copper wire. The pieces of wire were so small I almost couldn't find them at all, even with the pinpointer. They were both about six inches deep. I don't think depth is going to be an issue with this coil if it can see a piece of wire half the size of a pin at that depth.

But the biggest surprise was how quiet it is. When I first turned it on, I didn't think it was working. There was no chatter. No EMI noise. There's a buried AC power line that runs through part of the property, and my 11" coil is very noisy when I get close to it. This coil not only isn't noisy, It is silent. I can walk back and forth over the power line and it doesn't make a peep unless the coil is over metal. That was a nice unexpected bonus!

And speaking of bonuses, Serious Detecting even included a free hat.

View attachment 2212428
Ordered & paid May 2/25
Got notice that I will receive it soon.

Screenshot_20250820_085859_Messages.webp


Certainly was a slow boat from somewhere.
Now to do some updating on the detector.
 
Still no word on mine ….. supposedly I’m the next one to get one all paid for and waiting. Still no word.
 
The pieces of wire were so small I almost couldn't find them at all
I have a beach mode for small gold (DEUS II Elliptical coil) and I have had shit so small on the beach that I have given up looking for it... clearly going off, but I can't find the target... and if you think I'm a newbie or something, I've been hunting for 40 years..
I took a lot of small gold to the beach to use as "TEST" gold, a small chain (Dug with the DEUS I in a playground) small hoop earrings (open) and fragments of broken rings..
all but one gives a clear signal.... So even though I did not find small gold on the salt water beach, it wasn't because the machine won't pick it up..
 
This is actually the same as the DEUS I Elliptical coil... I now have both..
The difference is the DEUS II Elliptical you charge the coil from the TOP of the pole, by simply sliding the clip on, and a light comes on showing its charging and boom !! all good.
SOOO much better than the clip on, hope they can do this with ALL their coils..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom