Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YAHOO! CAN'T BELIEVE IT, PERMISSION TO HUNT CV SITE IN ARK

I was detecting in our little town, basically cleaning out the cans and pull tabs when this farmer stopped and started talking to me. I had just pulled out a Pepsi can which made him laugh and so we talked for a bit about detecting. Then he started telling me about how there had been a skirmish on his land in fact there were a handful of soldiers that had been buried in one spot. I knew that there had been numerous skirmishes in this part of Arkansas but they were all on private land, in fact there are two cemeteries south of here, one for the union, one for the confederates. The farmer said his son had found what appeared to be part of a sword and a couple other items. Then he said, that portion of the land would be cut in the next week or so (hay) and that I could metal detect all I wanted out there afterwards. I was flabbergasted, I was not expecting anything like this at all today, it is like a dream come true. You see the finds and videos of these fortunate people who are able to hunt these sites, the pure history that they dig up! I know that I may not find a thing but it is the whole idea of it. I thanked the farmer, we had already exchanged names and he headed off to the Tire shop. I am 57 but felt kind of giddy at the prospect of hunting an actual civil war site. Right after that i found a token or something, it is very thin, old and crusty, I don't know if it will clean up for pics but I will try and post later. And now the wait, anticipation... still can't believe it!:headbang:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! GO YOU!!!
Hope you find some exceptionally rare relics! Post pics!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
oh you know it! and thanks

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Sound Great, Just be sure to dig Neatly and cover your Holes. goldnugget.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck Yea
Hopefully your excitement will not be in Vain.
Hope you can find some of those rare bullet types that are often dug in Arkansas. & A plate or two of Course.
GL...Davers

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Sounds like a great opportunity, one straight out of the blue. Just curious, did you guys come to any agreement ahead of time, in terms of what you will do with any keepers? I have yet to go knocking on doors asking permission to detect, but probably will do that in the near future.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There's stuff there. Geewhiz,everywhere people go there is. Looking forward to your finds! What a great offer by the farmer too.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the farmer doesn't care, said he hoped I could find something interesting. and yes, always on the nice and neat, pick up any trash, do my best to leave as little evidence that I was even there. I always respect the land owner's land, not driving in places that will tear up the pasture or what ever. open gates, close gates, see an animal in distress, let them know as quickly as possible. one of my ancestors was a blacksmith in the local area during the war, he had to work for both sides, daily on some days. My mother has the forge and a lot of the equipt. I just never thought that I would be able to check out one of the skirmish areas, of course the farmer referred to it as a battle site and I reckon if I had been there and was fighting for my life, it was a battle! if I find anything of great value, the farmer would be one of the first to hear and see it, then if he wanted it, it would be his by the nature it was found on his property in the first place. just being able to detect there at all is an honor and privilege. yahoo!

Tampa Steve

Apr 10, 2014
tampa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the farmer doesn't care, said he hoped I could find something interesting. and yes, always on the nice and neat, pick up any trash, do my best to leave as little evidence that I was even there. I always respect the land owner's land, not driving in places that will tear up the pasture or what ever. open gates, close gates, see an animal in distress, let them know as quickly as possible. one of my ancestors was a blacksmith in the local area during the war, he had to work for both sides, daily on some days. My mother has the forge and a lot of the equipt. I just never thought that I would be able to check out one of the skirmish areas, of course the farmer referred to it as a battle site and I reckon if I had been there and was fighting for my life, it was a battle! if I find anything of great value, the farmer would be one of the first to hear and see it, then if he wanted it, it would be his by the nature it was found on his property in the first place. just being able to detect there at all is an honor and privilege. yahoo!

I hope you find some cool relics keep us updated....

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looter,
I am stoked for you for sure.no great detecting story ever started with"farmer said no way"just like no super memorable party ever started with a salad.
Go...do...report back.We are livin it with ya !!!and pics too !!woo hoo...good one !!
cheers

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If you make out all right,take a few things and make a display case and give it to the farmer.The farmer did the hard part for you,he offered you didnt have to ask.:laughing9:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks all for the support, the hardest part right now is waiting for the field to get cut, baled and hauled off but he said it would be most likely next week sometime, there is also a small wet weather creek beside it and then some timber on the out skirts. it is in a kind of rolling hill/ridge setting complete with briars, blackberries and the various insects and snakes.... normal central western Arkansas terrain. The nice thing about country folk, if you are from the county area at all, you are almost related or at least know someone that they know, therefore some common ground. in addition to this, we both had been in the middle east. Being respectful, polite and considerate always helps. I know that I am very fortunate to have been given an opportunity like this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions